Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a leak when I first got my Wrangler a few weeks ago, and the dealer fixed it (confirmed going through the car wash). I took my Freedom Panels off for the first time today, and after putting them back on hit the car wash again - I'm back to square one with the leak.

It is leaking down the A pillar and coming over the rocker panel like so...

Has anyone tried shimming the footman loops in the front that the freedom panels latch to? Maybe by clipping a small piece of plastic tubing to it. Would squishing the seals down a bit further in the front prevent that trickle down?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I had a leak when I first got my Wrangler a few weeks ago, and the dealer fixed it (confirmed going through the car wash). I took my Freedom Panels off for the first time today, and after putting them back on hit the car wash again - I'm back to square one with the leak.

It is leaking down the A pillar and coming over the rocker panel like so...

Has anyone tried shimming the footman loops in the front that the freedom panels latch to? Maybe by clipping a small piece of plastic tubing to it. Would squishing the seals down a bit further in the front prevent that trickle down?
I'd say you seals are dirty

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Very common. The channel that supposed to carry the water out runs right into the jeep. You can try that or I've seen folks apply 303 to the seals. Another fix you can try, loosening the door hinge bolts and angling the door up. I think the doors settle and the channels don't "line up"
Mines really bad right now but with the soft top. I'll be pulling front carpet and coating it this summer.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seals aren't dirty. I've cleaned them and lubed them well with Shin-Etsu silicone grease (the honda stuff that costs like $20 a tube but supposedly works miracles). This is only the second time the top's been off.

This Jeep rolled off the dealer lot exactly a month ago.

Another fix you can try, loosening the door hinge bolts and angling the door up. I think the doors settle and the channels don't "line up"
Which ones - inside or outside? Like loosen the outside ones and lift the door forward-ish and retighten?

·
Registered
6 Posts
my wife bought me a 2009 wrangler X for christmas the next day the roof leaked in the center/front where the latch is so we unlatched it and put some paper, in there to make it latch tighter so far end of problem. i wonder how do i find what package i have after looking for tires?

·
Supporting Member Commercial Member
78 Posts
looks like your in the same boat i was.

Jeep Wrangler JK Front Door Leak - YouTube

i haven't taken my freedom panels off yet, but my dealer has done 2 things to my front seals. they installed TSB 23-010-13 and they made other adjustments to the seals on the front. i guess i'll have to take the panels off and see what happens. my dealer swears my alignment of the door is fine, my seals are very good because doors are still hard to shut. You know what doesn't help, the massive rake on a stock jeep. so much water will always be funneling down the front door channel.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So in re-examining, re-cleaning, and re-lubing my seals, I took a peek at the foam on the corners of the panels that sits in the A pillar muckets. It looks like sh!t - compressed to the point that it may as well not even be there, and the parts that were still puffy were like damp sponges. I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem, but from what I've read on the TSB's that tends to lead to water dripping from the top, not the bottom.

Also... My driver's door is a bear to shut; seals like a mofo. It HAS to be dripping down the inside edge from the top before the rain gutter.

·
Registered
539 Posts
So first off silicone ...bad. The seals are impregnated with graphite and the silicone will cause the seals to become hard in cold weather. 303 does not cause this and is a preservative. How do I know this... Went to the mountains and the seals that I used that Honda crap on became hard stiff and actually ripped in one area. The rear that had 303 on were supple. Went to the dealer and Chrysler refused to warranty the ones that had the honda crap on. My advice get 303, second pull off Your tops and reseat them, make sure you do not screw down to tight. Most issues are caused by screwing down the rear to tight. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So first off silicone ...bad. The seals are impregnated with graphite and the silicone will cause the seals to become hard in cold weather. 303 does not cause this and is a preservative. How do I know this... Went to the mountains and the seals that I used that Honda crap on became hard stiff and actually ripped in one area. The rear that had 303 on were supple. Went to the dealer and Chrysler refused to warranty the ones that had the honda crap on. My advice get 303, second pull off Your tops and reseat them, make sure you do not screw down to tight. Most issues are caused by screwing down the rear to tight. Good luck.
Ain't the screws, but I'll look into wiping down the Shin Etsu and getting some 303 given how cold it is. I've never heard about he graphite thing, I've seen a ton of threads recommending either Shin Etsu or 303.

As far as reseating them - it doesn't help. It may only be my second time pulling them off but before I did I made sure I knew exactly what I was doing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not saying you don't know what you are doing...hope I did not come off that way. My tops still leak and I have a CARE case open for it. To get mine to stop at least for now. Pulled off the tops. Wiped off all the silicone (PIA), left the seals to bake in the sun....then I applied several times 303.. Let it soak. Then I put on the tops making sure that all the seals lined up. I had a tail in the back that was not sitting right for some reason...so I had to manually force it into place. Then locked it down.... I found with mine if I tightened the cups it pinches the groove and sends all the water into that little hole of the freedom tops.

The dealer is ordering me new tops and seals for the top.

-K

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ignoring my girlfriend's chipping nail polish...

That's the front driver's corner on the freedom top. Looks quite...bad. That's the part that sits in the A pillar mucket.

I started wiping down the siligoop last night anyway, since it was getting all over everything (clothes, top, rollbar, interior, etc) as I was trying to reseat, examine seals, etc. I have a weird tab sticking up out of the top at the rear of the panels, it looks like the back of the seal on the passenger side panel. I'm going to do a little experimentation between tonight and tomorrow (including 303, which I can get from various hot tub places near me), and if I can't solve the problem by Wednesday noonish (I'll do a carwash run on lunch), I'll make another appointment.

That's the mucket in the bottom left of the pic - I think that gray foam in the cup is new from the last time I brought it in but I'm not 100% certain.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What year is yours?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ya I don't have those tabs...I have guides near the front but none in the rear.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm convinced it's the door seal. I took the top off, removed most of the grease, and gave everything a nice rub down with 303 Aerospace. Still leaking. I poured two cups of water over the driver's side and then got in the passenger side, and watched the seal as the water started seeping past it inside by the driver's side kick panel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts