Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm thinking about shipping my jeep instead of driving it. I figure it will cost about 800 in gas or around 1200 to ship. Anyone have experience good or bad with vehicle shipping? References?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ive shipped my Jeep twice. Its manily because Im military and had to move on short notice(overseas). I have had good luck so far. Maryland to Cali is a heck of a trip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm military as well and I've shipped vehicles overseas but that was with military procured carriers. I've heard some horror stories about private shippers that just don't show up and leave you with a last minute decision to find someone else.

·
Registered
111 Posts
if i was you and making that move i would jeep it and go over some of those sweet passes they have ,ight be a once in a lifetime jeep trip.

just wear a kidney belt lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would drive it. Take scenic routes at certain places and take pics of my Jeep at some awesome places and take my time.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Shipped my YJ from Cali to NC. Cost around $900 6 years ago so I am sure its significantly more expensive now. No issues with the shipping. Took a couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
If you have the time...and the funds...I would drive it camp and take the State highways...and see as much as I could. When I was in the Military I did this as much as I could...granted it was on a Motorcycle and 30 years ago but IMO doing that in a Jeep would be GREAT!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As much as I would enjoy the drive in the jeep that would leave the wife n kids driving our other vehicle. Either way shipping or driving the jeep I will still be driving something from Md to Ca. Thought about flat towing the jeep, but our othr vehicle is a ford edge 6 cyl all wheel drve that is rated at 3500lbs towing. Don't think it will gt the job done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know a guy with a place in North Carolina and a place in Florida. He uses Exotic Car Transport to ship his Bentley and then flies in his private jet. I don't know how much they charge, but he is very happy with them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would not hesitate towing with your other vehicle, once you hit the rockies you may would want to drive both of them through and an opportunity for some sight seeing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've shipped two vehicles before. Both were horrible experiences, with the carrier unable to give me a straight answer on where my vehicle was and why it was over a week delayed. Both cars came back with scratches on the fenders and one had evidence of cigarette ash on the lighter plug(i don't smoke).

For me, shipping is now a last resort.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My one experience was bad. I shipped two new vehicles, a Toyota Sienna van and an F-150, combined mileage on the two was 3000 miles. They were double stacked in a closed car carrier, van over truck. The upper deck was set too low and would flex enough to hit the top of the truck. To add insult to injury, the idiot driving the truck was wearing a big rodeo style belt buckle and when he tried to squeeze between the wall of the trailer and the care his lard azz forced that buckle into the paint of the van leaving deep scratches down the entire length of BOTH sides. Then he repeated same with with the truck!
I ended up talking directly to the president of the company. This was a new contract carrier and it was his first run. End result was body work to fix the cab of the truck, and complete re-paint of both vehicles at the body shop of my choosing, all the while driving two rental cars.
Just what I wanted for two brand new vehicles.....

Oh, this was handled by Exotic Car Transport....
He wanted to let the new guy do a run with a couple of domestic cars before he let him do a really pricey one. Good thing he did, for him, not me...

So my advice is Drive It if at all possible, see the country. Talk it up on here when you have a guess at a route and find out some of the cool stuff to see that maybe only locals know about. Have fun..

-Frieed

·
Registered
227 Posts
carriers

On the internet if you do a search there is a site that I filled out for shipping vehicle. I received well over 50 quotes from different companies. I Bought my jeep in Colorado springs, Co and live on the western slope, some 5 hours away. Got quotes from $200 to $500. Went with one in the middle $300. Figured 5 hours both ways to pickup plus gas. $300 was cheap. Worked out well for me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my 2007 Wrangler shipped from USA (Texas) to Europe about 2 years ago. That was the first and the last time when I needed car transportation, unfortunately I can't remember what the final cost was as it was quite a long time ago, but I guess it's easy to find this kind of information, you can find more details here. And I wouldn't take those bad stories too seriously because hopefully they don't happend very often.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, bring military I have shipped vehicles overseas this us just the first time I've shipped within the USA. I have a contracted shipper asset to pick it up today. I will update after delivery and throughout just for other peoples information.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
As much as I would enjoy the drive in the jeep that would leave the wife n kids driving our other vehicle. Either way shipping or driving the jeep I will still be driving something from Md to Ca. Thought about flat towing the jeep, but our othr vehicle is a ford edge 6 cyl all wheel drve that is rated at 3500lbs towing. Don't think it will gt the job done.
Long drive, so "save the marriage"!....Nice to have some peace & quiet and control over the radio. Let the wife drive the other vehicle. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I shipped my TJ from near Bakersfield, CA to Alabama back in 2004. I had to drive out here, but needed my other car. So the jeep followed later. I used AAA Discount Auto and Truck Transporters.

Car Shipping Better Business Bureau Accredited Auto Transport

It was 900 back then (I know, not much of a discount, lol). But Jeep arrived safe and sound, but in desperate need of a bath from road salt, dirt, mud, and the Nissan above it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Try UPS Logistics, they were quoting the rent a car company I was working for before getting laid off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts