Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm removing my rear shocks to replace them along with my new lift and the first bolt on top comes off easy. The second one on the outside snaps off at the head. I try to get the other side...Same thing. The inside comes off fine and the outside one snaps. I'm screwed. Is there anything I can do other than drill?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
So I'm removing my rear shocks to replace them along with my new lift and the first bolt on top comes off easy. The second one on the outside snaps off at the head. I try to get the other side...Same thing. The inside comes off fine and the outside one snaps. I'm screwed. Is there anything I can do other than drill?
The same thing happened to me. On the passenger side anyway. I ended up drilling it out and using a nut and bolt. Its not a fun project at all:banghead:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It's not easy to get a drill bit up there.
Look on the outside between the frame and body.
Use a long nosed vice grips to grab the broken bolt from the top, unscrew it.

Screw it back down - in less than 1/2 turn it'll unscrew freely.

Sometimes you might have to lift the body up off the frame a little. Loosen the body mounts and lift the body slightly.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Once you get the bolt out buy some bar pin eliminators so you will not deal with this problem ever again. You think it is hard to fix on a TJ you should try it on an XJ.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Or a dab of Antisieze on a grade 8 bolt.

KISS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts