Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm ordering a 2.5" RC lift, and I was wondering if I should get boots to put on the shocks. I read that they can trap in dirt and water, and speed up the rust on the shock pistons, but I also heard positive things. I live in Florida and do hit a lot of mud and water. I'd just like to see the different sides on the matter to determine whether or not I should buy them. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
They are purely for looks. I think they look ridiculous but to each his own.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Any type of decent shock is designed to keep dirt out. There is always some type of gasket/grommet where the shock arm enters the reservoir. Look at any motorcycle or shocked Mountain bike to see how may have shock boots. I agree, that they probably are worse for your shock than better. I have never purchased them myself and keep my shocks open. Ditch the shock boots.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Look at any motorcycle or shocked Mountain bike to see how may have shock boots.

X2

Shocks are essentially hydraulic/pneumatic cylinders. How many boots do you see on tractor cylinders, air cylinders on machinery, heavy equipment...

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's what ever you think YOU would like to do. Whatever you think you would like.
I prefer the boots because it keeps scratches away from your shock, and it keeps you shock seals good in your shock. But, if you go to you fenders in mud, there is a slight possibility that some water or gritty dirt will get trapped in there. I left mine one because I don't want my seals to ruin, or my inner shock to get scratched. Do whatever YOU want to do. It's all up to you, not us.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I know a couple guys that run them because they believe that it helps prevent dings and dents on the shock piston shaft.

I have never run them, don't like them, and have never had a problem.

So, like Jake above said, whatever you want to do with them. I am sure it will be just fine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's what ever you think YOU would like to do. Whatever you think you would like.
I prefer the boots because it keeps scratches away from your shock, and it keeps you shock seals good in your shock. But, if you go to you fenders in mud, there is a slight possibility that some water or gritty dirt will get trapped in there. I left mine one because I don't want my seals to ruin, or my inner shock to get scratched. Do whatever YOU want to do. It's all up to you, not us.
Haha, the "up to fender in the mud" is never intentional. Whenever I hit mud it's usually only about 3/4 up the tires.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think I'll go with them. I get paranoid about my Jeep, and the thought of water and dirt being trapped in the shocks will drive me nuts. Plus I'll save $25.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've got them, I like them, I think they're purrrty. Plus I'm convinced that it keeps the direct winter salt spray off the rod. Whenever I've removed them before there hasn't been dirt or water like some others have had; guess that's exclusive to a wuss that won't bury his jeep in the mud! To each their own, I don't submerge the jeep, I've got a quad for that.

Do what you like, you're spending the money. If you want to hear that it won't cause problems: well it hasn't in my experience.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I did some research and read some forums with people claiming they had an employee from a shock manufacture say boots were created to make more sales for them because of the moisture trapped in the rubber plus if dirt gets in it will cause the shocks to go out faster...

I took my pocket knife last night and cut mines off and one of my rear shocks have a little rust on the shaft and the other rear had moist sand stuck to the shaft

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got them, I like them, I think they're purrrty. Plus I'm convinced that it keeps the direct winter salt spray off the rod. Whenever I've removed them before there hasn't been dirt or water like some others have had; guess that's exclusive to a wuss that won't bury his jeep in the mud! To each their own, I don't submerge the jeep, I've got a quad for that.

Do what you like, you're spending the money. If you want to hear that it won't cause problems: well it hasn't in my experience.
Well they don't spray salt here in Florida, and I do get in pretty deep sometimes...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did some research and read some forums with people claiming they had an employee from a shock manufacture say boots were created to make more sales for them because of the moisture trapped in the rubber plus if dirt gets in it will cause the shocks to go out faster...

I took my pocket knife last night and cut mines off and one of my rear shocks have a little rust on the shaft and the other rear had moist sand stuck to the shaft
I think you just sold me on NOT getting them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts