Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting my Bilstein 5100s on tomorrow. Just a poll question for everyone. Do you keep your shock boots on or not? Why or why not? I always have but I'm considering not this time.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
They tend to trap in water, dirt and grime. So I prefer "no boots".

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Any problems with salt? Utah gets snowy in the winter and the salt comes out.
The shafts are pretty resilient to salt, but the problem is when you get the salt moisture in behind the boot, most people don't take to boots off on a regular basis to clean out the gunk. With no boots on, you can at least rinse them off occasionally.

·
Registered
628 Posts
No boots

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
No.

Current Fox shocks didn't come with any. That tells me I don't need them.:)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Left them off of my Rancho RS5000X shocks when i installed them. The rears had these ugly hard plastic boots similar to the boots on OEM shocks. I cut them off.

The cheap paint on the shocks is rusting off after one winter. No rust on the chrome rods though. Besides, the chrome rods look cooler than boots IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Fox 2.0's didn't come with them, so I don't use any. As mentioned above, I've heard they mostly just trap dirt and water, causing damage to the seals and corrosion. Although nothing rusts here anyway :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I went no boots. I love the look. The boots that came with the bilsteins were garbage anyway, they would have bunched up and looked terrible. Glad I decided to go without them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts