Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put up with the stock Rubicon shocks for 9000 miles.
Stiff is not a good word for them, its more like 'all over the place'.
They are a nice red color, but they don't control much.
questions I hope you can help me with.

Does the Bilstein have a 5100 shock, that will fit a stock unlimited Rubicon ?
Or do I have to get the 4600's ?

Anyone running the Eibach sport truck shock ?

Has anyone tried the Falcon 2.1 shocks ? I am kinda thinking about trying them, since they say:
"JK specific shock "
" Increases vehicle stability "
And what caught my attention:"Improved dynamic roll control "
I like the sound of that !

Let us know
Best regards

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Rancho is probably the most popular value option. For $50 each you can get a set of Rancho 5000's. For a bit more you can get the adjustable Rancho 9000's.
I have OME shocks, just over $100 each and a nice yellow color. The Bilstein's seem to be stiffer than the Rancho's or the OME's, along with Fox.
In the end, it comes down to how much do you want to spend, and are you looking for stiffer or more plush.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rancho is probably the most popular value option. For $50 each you can get a set of Rancho 5000's. For a bit more you can get the adjustable Rancho 9000's.
I have OME shocks, just over $100 each and a nice yellow color. The Bilstein's seem to be stiffer than the Rancho's or the OME's, along with Fox.
In the end, it comes down to how much do you want to spend, and are you looking for stiffer or more plush.
I would say 'Controlled/firm' but not a harsh/punishment ride is what i'm looking for. I have a punishment / sway ride now.
I saw the OME's on 4WD website, and they look good. I have the OME steering stabilizer on my old 98 Jeep TJ. Its very good quality.

I like a good tight ride. I appreciate the rating on the OME's I will have to look at those as well,
thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,372 Posts
I have the Falcon 3.3 and a buddy has the 2.1, we both love them. The 3.3 are in a league of their own.
I like the Rancho 5000XL on my wife's Jeep and the 9000 we installed on my best friends Jeep.
@SoDakSooner has the 5100, I think he likes them but he's said they're firm.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I do want a set of the Falcons. They seem to be in a different league than the Rancho, Fox, Bilstein, and OME options. I would put them closer to King and other custom shocks. The 2.1's are not terribly expensive, I think they end up being around $150 each in a set of four. But I have a problem with stuff like that, and once I am going with the 2.1's I then look at the 3.1's, figuring it is only a $100 more per shock. Next, I am looking at the 3.2's, again thinking it is less than $50 more per shock. It tends to spiral like that for me. So, one day I want a set of the Falcons but so far I have not had the restraint required.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Umm, if you think the stock Rubi shocks are harsh, the only other option that will be even softer are the stock black shocks, doubt you'll find anything softer than those in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Umm, if you think the stock Rubi shocks are harsh, the only other option that will be even softer are the stock black shocks, doubt you'll find anything softer than those in the aftermarket.
Interesting . Hmmmm. Maybe its the load range 'E' BF Goodrich tires ? Those are wearing perfect. They are at 34 pounds, heck if you go lower the TPM system starts yapping.

That still wouldn't cause the sway side to side. I'll look into see who sells Falcons,
Thanks, have a good one,

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
What size? 34 psi is not that low if the tires are 35's or bigger. They offer widgets like a ProCal to adjust your TPMS threshold.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm reading between the lines a bit here... you mention 'roll control' and 'all over the place' which makes me think you are talking about street performance. I don't know that you are going to find your answer with _just_ a shock. If the handling of a stock Rubi isn't to your liking, it's a long way to make it handle like a car.

A stiffer shock wouldn't be the first choice for 'too tippy'. A higher compression rate will give you a short period of resistance but under load (cornering) that shock has to move. To reduce roll, you'd want a stiffer spring, larger sway bars, or adjustable sway bars.

You might get better results trying 1.5" spacers on your stock wheels to when your track - also good for reducing roll. Side to side sway is often a combination of tire width/pressure and road imperfections. Does it act as badly on perfectly flat road? Load sunk pavement? I find only roads where we have a lot of heavy truck traffic, that when I went to spacers it didn't hunt the groves as badly. However once I put my wider tires on, I'll probably loose that benefit.

There isn't any older suspension system still being made than what's on the Wrangler...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'BeyondYourFrontDoor' you are close,its kinda hard to describe. It does drive perfectly on road, IF the pavement is perfect /level, and turns are ok on good pavement. It tracks perfectly if that road is smooth and level.

But when there is 'load/sunken sport or any abnormal hump or a bridge transition at an angle ( Not square straight on) you will be shaken side to side. The kids like it
JK doesn't rattle on hard bumps, but I think it should do as well as the my Jeep TJ or the Dodge Ram 2500. They both have the solid axle up front and do much better with these type transitions. I test them on the same stretch of road.
the IS350 traverses this part of the road the best, but its a car.

Is it ok to compare the JK to the TJ on certain drives ?

The sway bar idea makes sense. I put new sway bar end links on my Dodge Ram 2500 and they made a noticeable difference. In curves there is no lean at all. Just a good solid feel. I put on the strong ones from BD_Diesel. Made a surprising positive difference to me.

I do like the spacer idea you have. I have never run spacers. I run the magnesium color rubicon wheels from the 2014/15 models with 265/70/17 tires. They are just a smidgen taller than the stock tires that came on the Jeep.
I have my original black wheels and tires in the shed, ready to put on.
maybe I will put those on and see what they do. I couldn't bring myself to run those BF Goodrich mud terrain tires on the hot summer pavement. I'll get those out and see if the characteristics change, and maybe get some spacers, but only change one thing at a time,
I may hold off on the shocks for now. Maybe it is the tires. I hope not. They are wearing perfectly on a 7500 mile rotation.
( I have only rotated them once) LOL

I do thank you for the ideas,, I appreciate it,

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have the Rancho 9000XL shocks and I am very happy with them. They are adjustable so you can set them to your ride preference.

I got new tires and an alignment last year and when the mechanic was done, he took it for a test drive. He walked right into the waiting room when he got back and told me that my shocks were blown and I needed new shocks. I asked him why he thought that and he said that my Jeep rides way so soft and Jeeps typically ride very rough but mine does not so the shocks must be blown. I walked him out to the garage and showed him that I have adjustable shocks and he was surprised at the difference it made. And no, they were not leaking and I did not need new shocks.

If you wait until October, Rancho usually runs a buy 3 get 1 free sale in October.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
'BeyondYourFrontDoor' you are close,its kinda hard to describe. It does drive perfectly on road, IF the pavement is perfect /level, and turns are ok on good pavement. It tracks perfectly if that road is smooth and level.

But when there is 'load/sunken sport or any abnormal hump or a bridge transition at an angle ( Not square straight on) you will be shaken side to side. The kids like it
JK doesn't rattle on hard bumps, but I think it should do as well as the my Jeep TJ or the Dodge Ram 2500. They both have the solid axle up front and do much better with these type transitions. I test them on the same stretch of road.

The sway bar idea makes sense. I put new sway bar end links on my Dodge Ram 2500 and they made a noticeable difference. In curves there is no lean at all. Just a good solid feel. I put on the strong ones from BD_Diesel. Made a surprising positive difference to me.

I do like the spacer idea you have. I have never run spacers. I run the magnesium color rubicon wheels from the 2014/15 models with 265/70/17 tires. They are just a smidgen taller than the stock tires that came on the Jeep.
maybe I will put those on and see what they do. I couldn't bring myself to run those BF Goodrich mud terrain tires on the hot summer pavement. I'll get those out and see if the characteristics change, and maybe get some spacers, but only change one thing at a time,
I may hold off on the shocks for now. Maybe it is the tires. I hope not. They are wearing perfectly on a 7500 mile rotation.

An spacer front won't do anything for you, other than to level your rig, the stock springs are just too soft, especially in the front, and they induce a lot of lateral body movement, you won't believe what i'm going to say, but i really hated the stock suspension, especially when going around corners, like in your case straight driving was awesome, throw some corners, or angle transitions, and the Jeep was borderline scary, i felt sometimes i could flip my Jeep, and i wasn't driving it like a sport car, nor i was thinking i was in one for sure.

If you want to firm up your suspension, look into the Hellwig sway bars for your JK, they should prevent your Jeep from having that lateral movement, start with the front first, and set it to the 3rd hole, i think you're going to love it in your case.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I just did a complete 3 inch lift, CA'a and all with 5100's and it corners like it's on rails. 30 psi in the 315's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the Rancho 9000XL shocks and I am very happy with them. They are adjustable so you can set them to your ride preference.

I got new tires and an alignment last year and when the mechanic was done, he took it for a test drive. He walked right into the waiting room when he got back and told me that my shocks were blown and I needed new shocks. I asked him why he thought that and he said that my Jeep rides way so soft and Jeeps typically ride very rough but mine does not so the shocks must be blown. I walked him out to the garage and showed him that I have adjustable shocks and he was surprised at the difference it made. And no, they were not leaking and I did not need new shocks.

If you wait until October, Rancho usually runs a buy 3 get 1 free sale in October.
Agree with this. I did not like the stock rubi shocks for the reasons you state and changed to 9000xl at 4,000 miles on a new rubi. Love the Rancho 9000xl on the softest setting for highway and around town.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts

I think you are looking at a combination of things. I had the exact same issues. After I installed my lift the problem does not exist and I am still running the stock sway bars. We can eliminate shocks as the fix, my 6Paks are in reality a very soft shock. So that only leaves springs and control arms and I believe that is the answer. MC spring are pretty firm, maybe some of the firmest out there. That diffidently addresses body roll.

I always felt the stock suspension was also harsh when it came to pot holes and expansion joints. Once I put on MC's control arms with the Duraflex bushings the ride was no longer harsh either.

Combining the 2 now I have a firm ride without harshness and no swaying.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
An spacer front won't do anything for you, other than to level your rig, the stock springs are just too soft, especially in the front, and they induce a lot of lateral body movement, you won't believe what i'm going to say, but i really hated the stock suspension, especially when going around corners, like in your case straight driving was awesome, throw some corners, or angle transitions, and the Jeep was borderline scary, i felt sometimes i could flip my Jeep, and i wasn't driving it like a sport car, nor i was thinking i was in one for sure.

If you want to firm up your suspension, look into the Hellwig sway bars for your JK, they should prevent your Jeep from having that lateral movement, start with the front first, and set it to the 3rd hole, i think you're going to love it in your case.
So many different experiences. We put Rancho 5000x on my wife's co-workers stock Sport and her husband was just a skeptical... Now he describes the difference as converting a Malibu in to a Camaro.

Roll resistance is significantly increased, brake dive reduced and ride is much more controlled. With just decent shocks added...

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Removed the 5100's and put some King smoothies on the front. Raised the front another 1/2 inch and did make it ride better, not stiffer. But, what a PITA to change the passenger side. Don't be in a hurry if you decide to do it yourself. My poor factory front DS is maxed out. I'll do a search to find factory measure so I can see how much lift I have but I bet it's 4+ in front. Now I have to get some Kings for the rear. Sad, a brand new set of 5100's have to go. Kings weigh almost double the 5100's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I feel the same exact way you do about the ride. I can't decide if simply replacing the shocks is the right thing or going ahead and doing springs now too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like my Rancho9000's. The ability to adjust is nice to fine tune where I like it to ride. I'm currently running a 4 upfront and 3 in the rear, which I don't find too harsh for daily driving.

Rancho also has a number of rebate promotions on a variety of shocks that are valid until the end of October. Promotions

1 - 20 of 33 Posts