Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read they aren't absolutely necessary (they don't even sell them with the leveling kit for this reason), but I do still have some questions. Please don't suggest new shocks. I know they're a good option but i'm not going that route.

I've got a stock 2014 JKUR and will be putting on a Teraflex leveling kit (spacers - 2" front/1" rear). I may be adding an additional 1/2" spacer to the front raising it a total of 2.5" front/1" rear (I spoke to a Teraflex rep who said this is perfectly safe to do). I just added a new front bumper and winch and I don't think 2" in the front will correct the rake to my liking.

My questions are...

1) What are the main benefits if I choose to add shock extensions? More flex? Better ride?

2) Will the extensions I choose differ if I opt to go with 2.5" spacers in front vs 2" spacers?

3) Are there any wear and tear considerations if I DO add them?

4) Are there any wear and tear considerations if I DONT add them?

5) I read about bump stops but I don't completely understand when they're needed... will I need them if I add shock extensions? What type/size will I need?

6) Anything else i'm missing here?

Sorry for all the questions, but the teraflex leveling kit is such a popular mod that i'm sure there are other newbs like me out there that this info will help as well. :)

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
You don't need extensions w/ a leveling kit. You lose down travel when you lift. Shock extensions allow the stock shocks to be used to return the lost down travel.

Rubi shocks are a bit longer if you have the stock sport shocks. ($100 or so used)

You can run longer shocks or extensions with a small lift. Just be mindful if total collapsed length so you don't ruin the shocks. This is where bump stop height comes into play.
You're better off running longer shocks because the collapsed lengths will be shorter. Min bumpstops/longer shocks = more total travel.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
You don't need extensions w/ a leveling kit. You lose down travel when you lift. Shock extensions allow the stock shocks to be used to return the lost down travel.

Rubi shocks are a bit longer if you have the stock sport shocks. ($100 or so used)

You can run longer shocks or extensions with a small lift. Just be mindful if total collapsed length so you don't ruin the shocks. This is where bump stop height comes into play.
You're better off running longer shocks because the collapsed lengths will be shorter. Min bumpstops/longer shocks = more total travel.
Just to elaborate on the bump stops a bit. Bump stops are a what limit the axle moving up as the springs compress. A longer bump stop will limit the axles up-ward movement more. If you add shock extensions, longer shocks, put in different coil spring or put on larger tires, you'll want to adjust your bump stops. You want to make sure the bump stops are long enough to keep the shocks from fully compressing, keep the coils of the springs from touching at full compression and keep the tires out of the fenders. However adding too much bump stop will limit your suspension travel and in severe cases cause the suspension to "bottom out" too easily. Let me know if you still have questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
299 Posts
thanks I needed this thread......was wondering the same thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts