Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do Skyjacker shocks last? Mine are going on four years and I recently started to hear a thump sound from the right rear whenever I hit a bump in the road. I took a look and the upper shock is off its bushing and the bushing in elongated. I think its bouncing back and forth, is this normal?:9lame:

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Seems like you have over extended it at one time or another, shocks only last so long especially when being put through the abuse a 4x4 goes through. Even day to day street driving is punishment enough for most shocks over a period of time. I'd make sure that the shocks are long enough for you jeep, but it sounds like your bushing wore out and pounded the hell out of the bolt eye. Some shocks that might be good can sometimes come with cheap bushings, the best possible way to avoid this problem in future would be to inspect the entire underside of your jeep when you do an oil change that way you can avoid having to replace a damaged part/shock just because of a cheap worn out bushing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JKS Bar pin eliminators

How are these? Thinking on purchasing to fix my thump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts