Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1989 YJ 4.2 HEI 5 Spd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing an 8.8 swap. I would like to have spring perches and shock mount welded in place so that i can pull the Dana out install the 8.8 and hit the road. The spring perches I have figured out.But can not figure out the proper set up to get the shock mounts in the right place. I have read a pile of 8.8 swap articles about half say they weld the shock mounts on before the install. But no mention of the set up they used. Any guidance will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am doing an 8.8 swap. I would like to have spring perches and shock mount welded in place so that i can pull the Dana out install the 8.8 and hit the road. The spring perches I have figured out.But can not figure out the proper set up to get the shock mounts in the right place. I have read a pile of 8.8 swap articles about half say they weld the shock mounts on before the install. But no mention of the set up they used. Any guidance will be appreciated.
It would be tough.

I installed my axle, tacked the shock mounts in place, then finished weld and painted them. Perfect alignment is guaranteed with this method

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It would be tough.

I installed my axle, tacked the shock mounts in place, then finished weld and painted them. Perfect alignment is guaranteed with this method
Same as what I did. And same with the perches for me too. I didn't want anything welded in there until I could put it all together and make sure it was perfect.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Same as what I did. And same with the perches for me too. I didn't want anything welded in there until I could put it all together and make sure it was perfect.
Good note on the perches - the best way to set your pinion angle correctly

·
Registered
723 Posts
I also test fitted. Tacked in place. Then had everything finish welded. To limit vehicle downtime it would be possible to drop the Dana 35. Test fit the 8.8. Tack everything in place. Reinstall the Dana 35. Take your time finish welding and painting the 8.8.

·
Registered
1989 YJ 4.2 HEI 5 Spd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have a welder so I have no way of tacking the mounts at home so I was will have to weld spring perches on in the stock position. install the axle and drive to the welding shop then weld the shock mounts on .

·
Registered
247 Posts
I installed my axle, tacked all mounts in place with a rented welder. Then pulled it back out to get it welded You can rent welder at home depot But you will have to buy the welding wire. It will not do all the welding But it will work to tack your stuff in place.. Also will you have the welding shop weld the axle tubes?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I installed my axle, tacked all mounts in place with a rented welder. Then pulled it back out to get it welded You can rent welder at home depot But you will have to buy the welding wire. It will not do all the welding But it will work to tack your stuff in place.. Also will you have the welding shop weld the axle tubes?
Excellent call. I forgot the tubes NEED to be welded to the center section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts