Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 90 Wrangler, now mainly used as mainly flat land tow behind the motor home, very little off road and nothing extreme now days. My wife has back issues and looking for input on softening the ride. Will new shocks help? Any suggestions on type or brand?

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Make sure you are not over inflated for tire size. Make sure you don't have load range E tires.

Softer shocks might help depending what you have on there now.

Aftermarket seats do help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Some very good advice above. I would probably take my tire pressure down and risk the wear on the tread just to soften up the ride. You can really squishy up a ride with lower PSI.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,917 Posts
+1 on tire advice

Generally, speaking hydro shocks are softer than nitro shocks. Many members recommend Skyjacker 7000s.
Just pump them back up to recommended pressure to tow again.

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Richard Ayers,

Unless the Jeep has a lift, I'd suggest stock size tires on stock size wheels. Conventional tread style. The hydro shocks are a good idea too. You can experiment with air pressure.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've never taken mine off and tried it, but doesn't removing the track bars make the ride softer since the springs aren't forced to move in an arc when the suspension travels?

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
I have real stiff heavy duty springs, so I didn't notice any difference when I removed my rear track bar. Most posters have reported an improvement.
There is no downside to removing the rear track bar that I know of.

I replaced my front axle and used the front track bar to center the axle. There is a slight adjustment on the front.
If you remove one or both of your track bars, don't throw it or them away in case you feel any negative effects. I doubt that you'll notice any negative response from your suspension.

I strongly suggest keeping your sway bar for a Wrangler that's driven on the street,

The above advice pertains to YJs only with leaf springs. TJs have coil springs and need the track bar to keep the axle in place.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
245/75/r16 Hiway tread running about 28lbs
Jeep has a 2" loift
OK, so PSI is not high but I would try it lower like 22. The lift might have made the ride a bit stiffer but that is just a guess. I don't think I would go below 20 PSI. Pump it back up to like 32 for towing. Do you have a portable compressor? I carry a Viair compressor.

Oh, are those E rated highway tires? You probably want C rated tires.

It looks like you might need to try some different shocks and aftermarket seats. I don't have much experience there to give you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so PSI is not high but I would try it lower like 22. The lift might have made the ride a bit stiffer but that is just a guess. I don't think I would go below 20 PSI. Pump it back up to like 32 for towing. Do you have a portable compressor? I carry a Viair compressor.

Oh, are those E rated highway tires? You probably want C rated tires.

It looks like you might need to try some different shocks and aftermarket seats. I don't have much experience there to give you.
Thank you for your help, 22 lbs then back to 32lb when on tow. Yes we have a compressor.
I don't see a rating mark on the tires? Maybe in code of some sort

·
Registered
945 Posts
JM.02. I noticed a big improvement in the ride of my YJ when I switched out the Rough Country 4” springs to Rubicon Express 4.5”. Then another major ride improvement when I replaced the Rough Country NO2 gas shocks for Bilstein 5100’s. it rides realllly plush now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts