Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just had some work done on my JKU and the mechanic was surprised that I am still running on the stock shocks at 101,000 miles (no lift). I also have 6" wheel spacers with the stock stabilizer, so he highly recommended upgrading both.

I am not much of a gear head and my JKU is my daily driver. I live in the Detroit, so mostly all paved roads (pretty much off road with all the potholes), but I do get off-road a few times a year with some other jeep buddies.

Does anyone have some solid recommendations? I don't want to cheap out, but also don't want to purchase something more advanced that I will need.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I was in the same situation as you are. We had 115 thousand on our stock shocks on our 2010 JKUR. All of my other trucks I always upgraded to Bilsteins with excellent results. Matter of fact put a set on the below listed F250 last spring and it really improved the ride.

Priced out the Bilsteins for the Jeep and realized for just a bit more I could just get the Rancho 2" sport lift with their adjustable 9000 series shocks, progressive rate springs and geometry correction brackets.

Put the kit on a few weekends ago and the ride is downright awesome. Very glad I did. Should have done it awhile ago.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Curious... if you got 101,000 miles out of your first set and are satisfied with the ride why change to non original?
I find myself getting into this same thought process but am now rethinking the aftermarket shock scene. I am very happy with the ride of my original shocks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I kind of agree with the previous post if you want to go bang for buck just buy some(oem) with a few hundred bucks on him and he can get all of them for less than $100.
You can have your choice for some nice red Rubicon or Sahara.
Eads

·
Super Moderator
7,704 Posts
There are better shocks out there than the stock shocks. But you can often buy lightly used take off stock shocks for fairly cheap. Personally, I would rather spend a little more and get a better shock. But, as they say, ignorance is bliss. If the best shock you have ever had is the stock shock, and you are happy with that, you would likely be fine sticking with what you know. But if you want a better ride, there are better shocks to be had for a relatively small amount of money.
Rancho is pretty much king of the bargain shocks, between the 5000 series, 7000 series, and adjustable 9000 series shocks they are a great bang for the buck.
For a little more money you can get a nicer shock, like Fox, or Bilstein. A high pressure nitrogen charged shock can deliver better, more consistent, performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are so many new "take offs" out there just replace with original. I bought four for my Rubicon for under $100. I'm a sports car/race car guy and I love Bilstein shocks on them. I put Bilsteins on my Grand Cherokee and hated them, removed them aver 6 months and put stock ones back on.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I recently installed Rancho 7000's at 49000 miles. These are similar to the bilstein 5100's but charged to a lower pressure, thus not as harsh. Ride is firm and controlled and they have about 1 inch more travel than stock shocks. The finish they put on them is not paint but some type of coating, looks like it is going to hold up well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
There are so many new "take offs" out there just replace with original. I bought four for my Rubicon for under $100. I'm a sports car/race car guy and I love Bilstein shocks on them. I put Bilsteins on my Grand Cherokee and hated them, removed them aver 6 months and put stock ones back on.

^ This. There's so many folks who pulled their shocks off their Jeeps pretty much as soon as they took them home. Quite a few are willing to part with them for dirt cheap since they probably won't get reused at all - hit up Craigslist or the for sale/parts section here.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Yep, Craigslist for a set of new Rubicon take offs... Or if you don't mind a little more expense, the Rancho RS9000XL's are adjustable to tune the ride quality that you like. Fantastic shocks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.