Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the wonderful pleasure to have the stock BFG Mud Terrains that have worn unevenly because I didn't rotate frequent enough (apparently). I know/think shocks can also cause the issue (its limited to fronts). I am wondering I should replace the shocks for the slight lift/heavier weight. ...or is rotation more frequently enough.

Details:
-I have a heavier front bumper with winch, gobi rack, ace rails etc ...needless to say its heavier.
-I have the TF leveling kit installed
-12.5k miles driven +7-8k miles flat towed
-I replacing the tires with 285/75s Nitto Ridge Grapplers next week (and I dont want to waste them)

Question: Are stock rubicon shocks sufficient or should I just swap them?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the wonderful pleasure to have the stock BFG Mud Terrains that have worn unevenly because I didn't rotate frequent enough (apparently). I know/think shocks can also cause the issue (its limited to fronts). I am wondering I should replace the shocks for the slight lift/heavier weight. ...or is rotation more frequently enough.

Details:
-I have a heavier front bumper with winch, gobi rack, ace rails etc ...needless to say its heavier.
-I have the TF leveling kit installed
-12.5k miles driven +7-8k miles flat towed
-I replacing the tires with 285/75s Nitto Ridge Grapplers next week (and I dont want to waste them)

Question: Are stock rubicon shocks sufficient or should I just swap them?
My thought is your shocks are just fine and I would not replace them just to try to eliminate uneven tire wear. Address premature tire wear through proper tire pressure, front end alignment, and tire rotation. From what I have read this is a known issue with BFG Muds. They are prone to uneven wear and need frequent rotation (say every 3k-5k miles) to minimize it.

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
The stock shocks, in and of themselves, are probably "fine". First question there is do they ride OK? Next question is how old are they?
Personally, I think you can upgrade your shocks, and thus your ride, for as little as $200 (Rancho RS5000X) so I can't imagine not wanting to upgrade your shocks. But if the question is do you NEED to upgrade your shocks, well that is harder to answer and I would guess that the answer is probably not.
I would highly recommend you upgrade them solely because better shock ride better, but unless they are blown or otherwise have issues you don't NEED to upgrade them.

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
Shocks won't cause tire wear. Either your toe in is off, tire pressure is off, or you're cornering too fast for mud tires. Rotate the new ones every oil change.
that is incorrect. Worn shocks can and do cause cupping.

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
Well it could cause cupping if they're blown out. OP- how many miles on the shocks and post a pic of the tire wear.
they don't have to be blown out they just have to be worn out enough to cause the tire to move around too much.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I agree. Worn shocks can cause cupping.
Once again, how many miles are on the OEM shocks? They can wear pretty quickly since manufacturers usually spec cheap shocks.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
they don't have to be blown out they just have to be worn out enough to cause the tire to move around too much.
I have a hard believing you'll get cupping for a worn shock on a solid axle set up. On a multilink with a strut, sure. But the tire isn't going move around too much. Unless it's bouncing down the road like a lo-rider, there's another culprit here. Like I said, the toe is probably off (the only thing you adjust in a stock JK for a front end alignment), tire pressure is off, or he's cornering like it's a sports car.

Hell, worn ball joints would be more likely to blame than a weak shock. They will let the tire wobble around.

I'd still like to see a picture of the tread wear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would not think they are worn out ... They essentially have 20k miles on them (I only bought it in January new). I think it is the cupping specific with the bfg.

The thing I was wondering about is if the added weight and 1.5-2in of lift would make me want to swap them early.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the same set up tire wise, along with a full width recovery bumper, winch, Gobi rack, and other stuff. I rotate every 3,000 miles. At 14,000 they show very little wear and are all even. If I were you, I'd get the alignment checked.

·
Registered
370 Posts
About the same here. Trying to rotate every 3,000-5,000 miles, just to keep ahead of wear problems. I've got my 5-tire rotation down to about 20 minutes with just a floor jack. I use a Harbor Freight 18" breaker bar to loosen and a cordless impact to remove/reinstall the lug nuts; with hand starting to eliminate cross threading and final tightening with the same breaker bar. I know, should be using a torque wrench for final tightening. Old habit, been doing it this way for decades without any issues.

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
I have a hard believing you'll get cupping for a worn shock on a solid axle set up. On a multilink with a strut, sure. But the tire isn't going move around too much. Unless it's bouncing down the road like a lo-rider, there's another culprit here. Like I said, the toe is probably off (the only thing you adjust in a stock JK for a front end alignment), tire pressure is off, or he's cornering like it's a sports car.

Hell, worn ball joints would be more likely to blame than a weak shock. They will let the tire wobble around.

I'd still like to see a picture of the tread wear.
Willie is one of my best friends. I just ask him and he said hell yea solid axle or ifs if the tire is bouncing around he told me to look up this article. Could be a lot of things no doubt about including worn shocks.

Tire Wear On Your 4x4 Truck - Four Wheeler Magazine

·
Registered
103 Posts
Fortec recommended that I rotate them every 3k miles due to known tire wear issues. They showed me one they just took off that day where the centerline was bulging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
The stock shocks, in and of themselves, are probably "fine". First question there is do they ride OK? Next question is how old are they?
Personally, I think you can upgrade your shocks, and thus your ride, for as little as $200 (Rancho RS5000X) so I can't imagine not wanting to upgrade your shocks. But if the question is do you NEED to upgrade your shocks, well that is harder to answer and I would guess that the answer is probably not.
I would highly recommend you upgrade them solely because better shock ride better, but unless they are blown or otherwise have issues you don't NEED to upgrade them.
Definitely agree with only 20k on them.

As for the abnormal wear, most likely toe and tire pressure related. OP, was the toe set after you installed the leveling kit?

·
Registered
150 Posts

As for the abnormal wear, most likely toe and tire pressure related. OP, was the toe set after you installed the leveling kit?
I agree. I had my TF Level kit put on my new 2017 JK at under 1000 miles and the 4x4 center I used is a mom and pop that have been in business for 30 years and they do realignment regardless of how new.

Now that said, I am still running obviously the original GY Wrangler tire and have only just over 1700 miles on my nearly 3 month old Jeep. But too early to say but I say maybe if there was no alignment when the level kit was done something got out of tune possibly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

To be honest, I assumed so. I will have the alignment checked next week with the tire install.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts