Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow jeepers i need some help. I can get a hook up at autozone (parts at shop cost or cheaper). When i bought my jkur it came with a tera 2.5 bb with the vs9550 shocks..
Its time to replace the shocks and i dont know which ones to pick.. Either stay with the same tf shocks or go with bilstein 5100?
Here are the two options for the front bilsteins which is the option i should chose? as the mention different lengths and other factors

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Bilstein-Shock-Strut-Front/2008-Jeep-Wrangler-4WD/_/N-jsgotZ8oxxw?itemIdentifier=217753_462448_7413_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Bilstein-Shock-Strut-Front/2008-Jeep-Wrangler-4WD/_/N-jsgotZ8oxxw?itemIdentifier=217825_462460_7413_

For the rears this is what they offer
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Bilstein-Shock-Strut-Rear/2008-Jeep-Wrangler-4WD/_/N-jsgotZ8oxxx?itemIdentifier=217826_469500_7413_

Please help me with picking the correct ones

·
Registered
664 Posts
Add Rancho 7000 or 9000 to your list. 2" lift shocks. IIRC they also have a rebate coming up. For a lighter Jeep (no armor, winch, skids, etc), the Bilstein 5100s are on the stiff side.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im trying to stick to items within autozone assortment as they are available on hand and can be easily exchanged returned given any possible defects

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would i be fine running the bilstein shocks that are meant for a 3.5 inch lift on my 2.5 BB?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm reviving this thread rather than opening a new one. Looking for some additional guidance..
So this is what i have done since the previous post.
Swapped out from spacers for 2.5 rk coils..(kept the tera bumpstop extension i think they are 2.75)
During the installation of the coils u took off the shocks at the axle side.
The front passenger was tough to re-compress but still done by hand.
The front driver i was able to easily bring up compared to the passenger.

Recently i started hearing the back passenger sort of clunk when going 20+ mph and hitting a bump. Sort of like the tire continuing to bounce.

Is this behavior pointing to having ran the life of the shocks??

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Def TF makes good products but the 9550. I don't see many good reviews. Stiff ride, leaking, blown shocks. TF usually warranties them. Worth a shot if you think they're blown. I would replace all, not just one/two.
I'll give them a call and check to see what they say (although i dont know how long they have been on there as they were in the jeep when i bought it about 10k miles ago and one of them does have a bit of a dent at the bottom of the shock)
If i decided to go with rancho 9000s what would be the correct model 30,31xl? I would rather go with a bit longer than require for 2.5 inch lift as i plan on going to 3.5 inch lift within a year or so.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is getting an 'extreme warranty' from 4wd.com worth in on shock.. Basically its half of what i would be saving with the rancho deal.
What have people experience been or thoughts on warranties with shocks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts