Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this thread is going to get beat to death as asking the question about shocks is like asking which style of underwear you prefer. But, here it is: 2008 JK Sahara, stock, 0 inches of lift. Have a blown RR shock that is being replaced until I can figure out a good set of shocks to replace all 4 with. My rig is used 90% on highway for personal use and being towed behind a MH for outbound trips from camp. It will also be used for forest service roads in the fall for deer / elk hunts and general camp use. It will also se some duty in snow as I live in central Oregon. Part of me says to go with a stock shock, while at the same time, many reviews I have read suggest an upgrade. I don't need really high end shocks, but want something that will eat the rough roads / bumps and provide a comfortable (for a jeep) ride. I have read that Rancho and ProComps are basically the same shocks, just different colors. It also seems that the ProComp ES9000 is a better shock, for the JK than the ES3000's. Ranchos seem to say the RS5000 foes good, but I am led to believe that the Rancho 5000 and the ProComp 3000 are the same shock. Bilsteins get pretty good reviews too. Also, it seems that a shock with nitrogen gas is superior to non nitrogen shocks. Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Bilstein and ranchos are great for what you are doing. I ran those on my last couple jeeps.

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock
#HardrockREVjku

Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
The ranco 5000s will be very similar to stock in feel but perform much better and significantly improve tire contact when hitting bumps.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Rancho 5000X is a proprietary design and there is nothing like it. The old 5000 and the Pro Comp 3000 might have been similar, but the 5000X is in a different league and a big step up in performance.

I know one of the Pro Comp engineers and he won't run any of their shocks but the Pro Runner.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
If the 5Kx shocks are so good is the 2" lift kit with the shocks and springs a smart buy budget lift?
I think it's fair to say the Rancho 2" kit is a good value. Many that are buying that kit are going up to the 9000XL because with the rebate it's only a few bucks more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think it's fair to say the Rancho 2" kit is a good value. Many that are buying that kit are going up to the 9000XL because with the rebate it's only a few bucks more.

I believe the rebate on the full kit ended on Aug 31. Quadratec still gives a good discount on it though. I know one of the vendors on here had them in stock for a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts