Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 JK X 2-door. Can I swap out the shocks and springs with a Rubicon 2door? How about a Rubicon 4-door? Will I need anything else, or is it a clean swap?

Thanks.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,970 Posts
Fiction.

There are slightly different spring rates but nothing that big of a change. I am almost sure that a 4door rubi would give you some lift however.

The shocks don't change lift height, only springs.

as Kjeeper said, its all about spring rates. but generally speaking they should be stiffer than say a sport.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great (and fast) info. I'll take a look at my springs and see what the difference would be.

Follow up question...do you know of a good thread you can point me to for install directions...is it a pretty simple DIY?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,970 Posts
Kjeeper is right.

you need to disconnect your shocks. Then you jack up your jeep and put on jackstands. then let down one side of the axle until the coil comes unseated. You can pull it right out. put the other one in. I used a crow bar to help get mine in but mine were almost 4 inches of lift, so alot longer/thicker. I dont think you should have an issue. Then reattach the shocks, and make sure the springs and seated properly. Then go to the other side. Pretty easy. If you have issues you may need to undo some CAs or something but you shouldnt. look for any lift kit install directions and follow the portion for the springs/shocks.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
cristoferj81 said:
Thanks for the great (and fast) info. I'll take a look at my springs and see what the difference would be.

Follow up question...do you know of a good thread you can point me to for install directions...is it a pretty simple DIY?
Any jeep coil lift thread will help you, try this

Use google but include wrangler forum in the title-example:

"Jeep Jk lift install, wrangler forum"

Try that and see what comes up :)

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
GoldenSahara00 said:
Kjeeper is right.

you need to disconnect your shocks. Then you jack up your jeep and put on jackstands. then let down one side of the axle until the coil comes unseated. You can pull it right out. put the other one in. I used a crow bar to help get mine in but mine were almost 4 inches of lift, so alot longer/thicker. I dont think you should have an issue. Then reattach the shocks, and make sure the springs and seated properly. Then go to the other side. Pretty easy. If you have issues you may need to undo some CAs or something but you shouldnt. look for any lift kit install directions and follow the portion for the springs/shocks.
:) :thumb:

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
GoldenSahara00 said:
Kjeeper is right.

You also need to disconnect your swaybar. In the back you need to remove the brake line bracket. Be very careful with brake lines and abs wires.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,970 Posts
Yep sway bar^ I forgot all about that hahaha. Kinda just one of those things. I didnt do anything with my brake lines but I have a TJ not a JK so there could be a difference. Thanks for the check daggo :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts