Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get a set of JKUR shocks/coils for my 07 JKU. My specs on shocks are 17/56. The JKUR are 18/59. Is this going to give me any lift than what I have now? I can get these shocks/coils for $100. Opinions on if this is smart for me. I have about $200 to spend on a "lift"

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
Are you getting shocks AND coils? Or just the coil springs? If you are just getting springs, the difference between what you have now and what you'll get is negligible. I'd got with a levelling kit or bb.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JKralph said:
Are you getting shocks AND coils? Or just the coil springs? If you are just getting springs, the difference between what you have now and what you'll get is negligible. I'd got with a levelling kit or bb.
I would be getting both. I thought about doing the leveling kit, but would it be smart to do both, together?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My '08 was sagging in the front. Springs were 16/17 and probably undersized and worn out. Replaced them Saturday with a pair of new 17's and it lifted it an inch. (marked and measured bumper) Well worth the 40 minutes. I have a pair of 3/4" spacers, not necessary to put in at this point.

I'm guessing that the #18 on yours would be a nice improvement. Had I had those, I would have put those in.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have a chance to get a set of JKUR shocks/coils for my 07 JKU. My specs on shocks are 17/56. The JKUR are 18/59. Is this going to give me any lift than what I have now? I can get these shocks/coils for $100. Opinions on if this is smart for me. I have about $200 to spend on a "lift"
Not worth it, IMO. You'll see a tiny gain, at most. Better to go with either a TF leveling kit for $130. Or, if you think you're gonna add heavy bumpers/winch, either the TF Performance leveling kit (differs from the $130 version in that it raises your Jeep with stiffer springs, rather than spacers), or a full-on 2.5" lift.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kbwwolf said:
Not worth it, IMO. You'll see a tiny gain, at most. Better to go with either a TF leveling kit for $130. Or, if you think you're gonna add heavy bumpers/winch, either the TF Performance leveling kit (differs from the $130 version in that it raises your Jeep with stiffer springs, rather than spacers), or a full-on 2.5" lift.
I'm definitely not gonna do heavier bumpers/winch. I cut my stock front bumper down and put end caps, so I'm trying to cut weight.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm definitely not gonna do heavier bumpers/winch. I cut my stock front bumper down and put end caps, so I'm trying to cut weight.
In which case, I'd go for the straight TF leveling kit. $130. Or you can buy some take-off shocks for $100, that'll do little for you, and buy the leveling kit later. Pretty much taking a Bic to $100, IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
To add to that:

It's tempting, I know. But unless you're gonna add weight, or want a stiffer ride, there's no need to buy stiffer springs. In the case of your initial post, the springs you mentioned will give you virtually no benefit. Even if you went with the stiffest springs offered by Mopar, 19/60s, you wouldn't get much out of it.

Not only that, but they'd do nothing about your Jeep's factory rake. A simple leveling kit, for $30 more than what you're looking at spending on the springs, will not only give you about a 2" lift, but will eliminate the annoying rake.

Not trying to sell you anything, here. Just laying it out. Up to you. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not doing anything right away, just trying to get some options. Thanks for the opinions. Would love to hear more

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kbwwolf said:
To add to that:

It's tempting, I know. But unless you're gonna add weight, or want a stiffer ride, there's no need to buy stiffer springs. In the case of your initial post, the springs you mentioned will give you virtually no benefit. Even if you went with the stiffest springs offered by Mopar, 19/60s, you wouldn't get much out of it.

Not only that, but they'd do nothing about your Jeep's factory rake. A simple leveling kit, for $30 more than what you're looking at spending on the springs, will not only give you about a 2" lift, but will eliminate the annoying rake.

Not trying to sell you anything, here. Just laying it out. Up to you. :)
Thank you very much. Cleared it up for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 16 of 16 Posts