Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 TJ with a 4”suspension lift. I have 33” tires that hit the fenders pretty often. I'm thinking of getting 35's. I’m thinking of adding a 2” body lift. What shocks would be compatible? I currently have Bilstein 25-193121 on the rear and IDK (came with the used Jeep) on the front. The Bilsteins have leaked oil from day one.
I’m thinking Fox shocks, but want to be sure I get the right size for 4” suspension lift + 2” body lift.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Knows a couple things...
49,941 Posts
It sound like you're just missing correctly sized bump stops. Where a TJ is concerned 4" total is ideal for 33's and 5" total is ideal for 35's. I'm running a 4" Currie suspension lift and a 1" body lift which works great for my 35's on even very difficult rock crawling terrain. And avoid 2" and 3" body lifts, they just cause problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sound like you're just missing correctly sized bump stops. Where a TJ concerned 4" total is ideal for 33's and 5" total is ideal for 35's. I'm running a 4" Currie suspension lift and a 1" body lift which works great for my 35's on even very difficult rock crawling terrain. And avoid 2" and 3" body lifts, they just cause problems.
Good info - thanks. I'll look into the bump stops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP Here. Thanks for the replies Someone suggested that I may not actually have 4" lift, and that's why I'm having some tire rubbing and possibly that the shocks are getting over compressed. I bought the Jeep used and the Craigslist ad said 4" lift, but it's my first Jeep, so IDK. Is there a way to measure?

·
Registered
397 Posts
measure springs with the jeep on the ground, front should be 12" & rear 8", anything above that is lift

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been busy with work.....back to asking questions.
The above pics are:
1) the Rear spring from under the top mount to the bottom mount. Looks like 1" lift, or a lot of sag???
2) Second pic front spring from under the top mount to bottom mount. The end of the spring is actually off the mount. So 2 inch - ish?? lift
3) Third is view from the side of the jeep. The driveway is pretty level. The yellow level on the sliders hows the rear is significantly higher than the front. How much lift does it look like? The PO said 4" lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3) Third is view from the side of the jeep. The driveway is pretty level. The yellow level on the sliders hows the rear is significantly higher than the front. How much lift does it look like? The PO said 4" lift.
Those are 31" tires in the pic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get that tightened up and a cotter pin installed before bad things happen. You can see where the backside of that joint has been rubbing on the bolt head behind it.
Tgood, Thanks for having sharp eyes - that could have been a disaster!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts