Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2016 JHUHR with a MetalCloak 3.5" game changer and Fox 2.0 performance shocks. It rides great, handles great ...my only complaint is that the suspension is so soft when I drop off big rock ledges on the trail the suspension seems to bottom momentarily before rebounding (a lot of bangs from skid plates or bumpers hitting rocks where other Jeeps with similar height lifts dont'). I am considering going with an adjustable shock to make things a bit stiffer off road so I don't bottom as quickly but I have also been told to go with hydraulic bump stops and keep my current shocks. Any thoughts or experience on the topic? I love my soft suspension and the way it articulates but not the way it nearly bottoms off a big ledge.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
Give MetalCloak a call and see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
What bumpstop do you have now?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I can't attest to the Sumos- but I do have a 3" Mopar/Teraflex lift with Fox 2.0 reservoirs. The TF hydraulics are the bomb- I have a boat ton of flex and can honestly say my Jeep is a lot more smooth than most. Crawling and on dirt roads. But if you don't wheel a lot the cheaper alternative might be worth a try.
I don't think anyone has ever said Fox is soft. It must be Metal Cloak's springs in conjunction with the rest of the lift. Did you have your Jeep tested at full flex when the lift was installed? The MC 6 packs are 3" shorter than the Fox shocks when fully compressed. (But they're longer when fully extended.) The cheap bumpstops are probably Metal Cloaks way of compensating when not using their 6 pack with the Gamechanger. I see that MC offers the Sumo on their own site.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't attest to the Sumos- but I do have a 3" Mopar/Teraflex lift with Fox 2.0 reservoirs. The TF hydraulics are the bomb- I have a boat ton of flex and can honestly say my Jeep is a lot more smooth than most. Crawling and on dirt roads. But if you don't wheel a lot the cheaper alternative might be worth a try.
I don't think anyone has ever said Fox is soft. It must be Metal Cloak's springs in conjunction with the rest of the lift. Did you have your Jeep tested at full flex when the lift was installed? The MC 6 packs are 3" shorter than the Fox shocks when fully compressed. (But they're longer when fully extended.) The cheap bumpstops are probably Metal Cloaks way of compensating when not using their 6 pack with the Gamechanger. I see that MC offers the Sumo on their own site.
Are you running the Teraflex Speed Bumps? I've considered them as well. Much better price than Fox or King bump stops. Yes my Jeep was tested at full flex after the lift was installed and it has been on many hardcore trails since with the only issue being the momentary bottoming out when dropping off obstacles (I attribute it to the MC lift being softer than other manufacturers - guy who ride in my Jeep are always blown away by how nice it rides on the trails and on the street in comparison).

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Are you running the Teraflex Speed Bumps? I've considered them as well. Much better price than Fox or King bump stops. Yes my Jeep was tested at full flex after the lift was installed and it has been on many hardcore trails since with the only issue being the momentary bottoming out when dropping off obstacles (I attribute it to the MC lift being softer than other manufacturers - guy who ride in my Jeep are always blown away by how nice it rides on the trails and on the street in comparison).
Yes I have the TF bumpstops- I have the "prerunner" kit from back in the day. I do really appreciate them. This really shows the difference:
https://youtu.be/HUa6IzU_5iY
When we first installed them they creaked like crazy until they settled (they also got a lot of dry dust in them). So I knew whenever they engaged- and I can tell you they work more than you'd think. However- as mentioned they are pricey. Sounds like you wheel a decent amount so it might be a good idea. No offense but those Sumo look like a cheap fix that I am not sure I'd rely on. But I also know MC doesn't usually spin BS either. If your issue is just limited to that bottom out them maybe Sumo might be a good gap-stop.
The Mopar/TF list isn't a soft one so the comparison to ride on your MC with bumpstops might not be accurate. And I have a 2 door not a bus. I KID.:D

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Mopar/TF list isn't a soft one so the comparison to ride on your MC with bumpstops might not be accurate. And I have a 2 door not a bus. I KID.:D
Thanks for the info. I think I am going with the TF option. I like it better than the SumoSprings and the TF option is still half the price of the Fox or King Bump Stops. I will report back to those interested on how it performs with the Short Bus JKU :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more discussion about bump stops on this forum. I mean specifically the hydraulic bump stops.

How many people run these with their lift kits? Seems like they have a lot to offer in terms of increasing the suspensions performance. Is it a benefit to cost issue? Do lots of people think they aren't needed?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I talked with MetalCloak and they recommended using SumoSprings bump stops which is substantially cheaper than hydraulic bump stops.
I also talked to Metalcloak about bumps stops for my Gamechanger kit. They recommended SumoSprings so I have installed them front and rear. I have not done any hard wheeling yet but they handle speed bumps really well. :happyyes:

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that there isn't more discussion about bump stops on this forum. I mean specifically the hydraulic bump stops.

How many people run these with their lift kits? Seems like they have a lot to offer in terms of increasing the suspensions performance. Is it a benefit to cost issue? Do lots of people think they aren't needed?
Benefit to cost for sure. Hydraulic can be double the price depending on the brand. Unless you're wheeling you won't really see much need for them except the occasional speed bump or giant pothole. And if you only wheel a couple of times a year- probably not worth it there either.
There is also this attitude that Jeeps aren't "pre-runners" and "just slow down" kind of thing. That hydraulic is only for speed demons who desert sprint and not for rock crawlers. Yah well you still need to get TO the rocks. While I sip my coffee on the way there and you get your spine shattered- enjoy your righteousness. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts