Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Shocks or Steering Stabalizer

820 14
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I have a 2002 Tj and have enough money to buy 4 new shock absorbers or a new steering stabilizer . What do you recommend me purchase? I'm only a high school senior just for more information haha.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Do you have any problems with ride quality or loose steering? Is your steering stabilizer leaking and what size tires do you have? You can get a cheap but good Monroe steering stabilizer at Advanced Auto Parts for under $50. 4 quality shocks could cost around $200. What's your budget?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,152 Posts
Unless your stabilizer is shot, you don't need a new one. There's no upgrade to be had
X2. You should be able to drive your Jeep without a steering stabilizer (more accurately called a steering dampener) with no noticeable difference from the drivers point of view. The stabilizer is simply there to soften jars to the steering linkage. If you have bad shocks, they effect ride and handling...replace those first. If you do need to replace the steering stabilizer, just buy a name brand one (like Moog) for about $25 at any parts store. They are simply a 50/50 shock. Don't spend big bucks for a name.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.