Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I have a 2002 Tj and have enough money to buy 4 new shock absorbers or a new steering stabilizer . What do you recommend me purchase? I'm only a high school senior just for more information haha.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do you have any problems with ride quality or loose steering? Is your steering stabilizer leaking and what size tires do you have? You can get a cheap but good Monroe steering stabilizer at Advanced Auto Parts for under $50. 4 quality shocks could cost around $200. What's your budget?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Happy with my bilstien 5100's for both on and off road. rancho 9000's are good too plus the have adjustable valving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any problems with ride quality or loose steering? Is your steering stabilizer leaking and what size tires do you have? You can get a cheap but good Monroe steering stabilizer at Advanced Auto Parts for under $50. 4 quality shocks could cost around $200. What's your budget?
33s

·
Registered
306 Posts
Curious what shocks you have now? Just cause you have the money doesn't mean this is what you should spend it on. Is the ride quality bad?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Unless your stabilizer is shot, you don't need a new one. There's no upgrade to be had
X2. You should be able to drive your Jeep without a steering stabilizer (more accurately called a steering dampener) with no noticeable difference from the drivers point of view. The stabilizer is simply there to soften jars to the steering linkage. If you have bad shocks, they effect ride and handling...replace those first. If you do need to replace the steering stabilizer, just buy a name brand one (like Moog) for about $25 at any parts store. They are simply a 50/50 shock. Don't spend big bucks for a name.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,692 Posts
The steering stabilizer would be less than 4 shocks as others say.

Though your post doesn't really say why you are replacing any of them. Are they leaking or something?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts