Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Finally made up my mind (I think!) with my 2014 Unlimited Sport.

Going to level the vehicle and put on some BFG's (Mud Terrain or All Terrain....still need to pick).

Thoughts on upgrading shocks at the same time? Worthwhile? Which brand & model recommended?

Been going back and forth between this plan and doing a 2.5" Rubicon Express kit w/33's. But....I drive 80 miles a day round trip and have a 6 year old daughter that needs to be able to get in and out of the vehicle. I have factory rock rails on because I don't like the running board look so need to keep the vehicle at a height that works.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Todd

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I like my OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks (might be branded as ARB depending on where you look). The stock Sport shocks were ok for around town but when I got off-road in rough forest/dirt roads (even aired down) they really blew. The OME's have a tighter (not necessarily rougher) feel on road, but off-road they do infinitely better than the stock Sport shocks at smoothing things out. OME's were originally designed for driving on the rough Outback roads in Australia if that gives you any idea.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fly, did you fit the OME lift to you jeep or just the shocks and used your stock springs? I don't want to lift my JKU but want to use the OME shocks as I had them on my old XJ and loved them.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Fly, did you fit the OME lift to you jeep or just the shocks and used your stock springs? I don't want to lift my JKU but want to use the OME shocks as I had them on my old XJ and loved them.
They are actually part of my Metalcloak "dual rate ARB edition" lift. The particular shocks Metalcloak includes are the long travel versions. They're rated for a 4-6" lift even though the MC lifts are 2.5 and 3.5 (actually one site rated them as 3.5-5.5" lift). Anyway, I can't seem to find a version for you that is stock rated on travel. I have the 60066L and 60067L models. The 60066 and 60067 (no L) are closest (2-2.5" lift). If you put them in you might need limit straps so your springs don't fall out. I was thinking they had a stock travel version but maybe not. The plain 60066/60067 versions are about an inch more downtravel than stock.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That was what I thought, but i think I will be fine using the non long travels if I don't disconnect the sway bar which I have no plans to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts