Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good shocks for my 2001 Jeep Wrangler sport? I have 2 inch lift with 32 bfg km2? Most driving is around town, 90% and very little off-road.....can't afford bilstein 5100 ....200-225$

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rancho has rebates going this month. I am going to try the 5000X shocks and are installing them this weekend. All 4 shipped w/rebate is $150 and change. For a 2" lift Rancho recommends these numbers:

In adjustable rs9000XL flavor($420ish less $100 rebate)
RS999239
RS999241

In 5000X($200ish less $50 rebate)
RS55239 (front)
RS55241 (rear)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Check out Doestch Tech shocks. I ran them for the past 10 years on my 2000 TJ. I'm about to get another set. They're around $39/ a piece and they work great!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry that's DOETSCH shocks. They're customer service is superb. Just call them, tell them what lift you have and BOOM they're on the way out the door. I got new rear mounts from them and they got here in 2 days

·
Registered
343 Posts
Installed mine today...will report later on the "ride"

...but I am not a good source of comparison....all 4 shocks on my TJ were completely blown

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I was curious about the rancho 5000x! I will buy them if anyone has a good report

·
Registered
427 Posts
Subd...tired of riding on my POS Rough Country shocks installed by the previous owners and looking for new shocks as well

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The Rough Country ones are about giving me a concussion. I just reordered the 5000X after about a year of waiting after being told they weren't yet available in Canada. If they don't ship this time I'll have to try some bilstiens

·
Registered
145 Posts
Autozone has Gabriel shocks on a Buy 3 get 1 free deal. (You actually pay for 4 and send in for the rebate.) I bought 4 of their MaxControl shocks for my Ram. Going to install them tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I purchased the RS5000x during their Shocktober promotion last year. Fantastic shock both off and on road. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I recently bought 4 of Quadratec's Q series hydros. I was in need of new shocks and low on funds. They were $38 each and free shipping. I didn't expect much but figured anything would be better than my worn out factory ones. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with them. After about 200 miles they softened up a lot and they ride pretty good. If I could have afforded the Rancho 5000x at the time I probably would have went with them but I don't regret what I ended up getting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on some new shocks... I ended up going with the RS5000X's after reading all of the praises on here as a replacement for the Pro Comp ES3000s. So far I have been very happy with the ride quality after 2 days as its noticeably better. I felt like I was going to get bounced out of the Jeep anytime I hit bigger bumps with the ES3000s but not anymore. They lived up to the hype for me, especially for $150ish after the current rebate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got mine installed last weekend. I was hoping for a more dramatic improvement over the Rough Country POS from PO.

Steering seems a little more stable and my 40mph wobble is gone but I also rotated the tires while I was doing the job.

They might be smoothing out as they break in but it's tough to tell at this point.

Better overall but I guess I was hoping for an instantly smoother ride

·
Registered
970 Posts
I run Bikstein 5100's with Synergy progressive rate springs which gave me almost 3" of lift. My jeep rides smooth on and off road. Some folks think Bilsteins ride too rough but not when matched with the correctly rated springs. The new Rancho 5000 X shocks are also highly rated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts