Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm driving down the road, I hit a pot hole, which shocks would you recommend that don't make me feel like an axle is falling off? I hate feeling every bump in the road.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would be looking at the new Terafex Falcon 3.3 piggyback shock. Blue Baby Sound did a great write up on the Falcon shocks that has me real interested...

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
I don't know if any shock could give a Wrangler the "boulevard ride" of a 70's Cadillac. Eating up the worse pot holes so that you feel nothing. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Lots of things in play when you talk about ride comfort
Tire ply rating (C, D, E, etc)
Caster
Shocks

Tell us more about your Jeep and we can make a FREE internet evaluation :) And worth very penny :D

And thanks for the kudos @Iratepirate!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Caster
Shocks

Tell us more about your Jeep and we can make a FREE internet evaluation :) And worth very penny :D

I would thank you, but I'm fairly certain I'll blame you for making me spending money on these shocks... This makes more sense than being responsible or anything

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caster
Shocks

Thanks BBS!

I have a '14 JKUR. I took a look at your Brutus build and it made me stick to my guns on 37's, but I need to make sure the wife is happy on the road as much as possible. If she can drive it without having a headache from every bump in the road, I'm good.

That being said, I live close to Moonlight and SMORR and plan on taking trips there at least once a month this summer. This is still my DD so I have to have a good balance of road manners and off-road.

If i retreat to 35's i save a good 6k at least, but I think i'll regret it. I hate flat fenders, probably keeping stock fenders with a metal cloak 3.5" lift, so some trimming and bumpstops will be needed along with a host of other things including either 4.88 or 5.13 gears.

I was about to pull the trigger on some FOX 2.0 shocks, but a few reviews said every small bump in the road was a dramatic, head jarring event. I definitely don't want that, but I do realize this is a solid axle off road vehicle that is going to feel like a truck no matter what you do, especially with 37" tires.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Being that the 017 unlimited is on order, I've checked the dealership yesterday for the types of coils on random wranglers located on their lot. Typically and most unlimiteds have 17/58 but the shocks vary from normal - performance. Knowing this I sent an email to Rubitrux asking if they can break up a set of their take off as just to include the red performance shocks.. To us, this is the most affordable alternative at the time. But if you see my point and want to upgrade to someone not mopar, then the other fellows here have that advice. We're keeping it all Mopar.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Thanks BBS!

I have a '14 JKUR. I took a look at your Brutus build and it made me stick to my guns on 37's, but I need to make sure the wife is happy on the road as much as possible. If she can drive it without having a headache from every bump in the road, I'm good.

That being said, I live close to Moonlight and SMORR and plan on taking trips there at least once a month this summer. This is still my DD so I have to have a good balance of road manners and off-road.

If i retreat to 35's i save a good 6k at least, but I think i'll regret it. I hate flat fenders, probably keeping stock fenders with a metal cloak 3.5" lift, so some trimming and bumpstops will be needed along with a host of other things including either 4.88 or 5.13 gears.

I was about to pull the trigger on some FOX 2.0 shocks, but a few reviews said every small bump in the road was a dramatic, head jarring event. I definitely don't want that, but I do realize this is a solid axle off road vehicle that is going to feel like a truck no matter what you do, especially with 37" tires.
Hope to bump into you at SMORR, we'll be there at least twice this summer.

Here's my opinion (and there are a lot of people that know better than me) my comments are about how to make a Jeep ride really well.

When looking at lifts look at the control arms, there are lifts that use urethane bushings (like stock), lifts that use a flex joint (like a JJ) and lifts that have a combo of the two. The urethane bushing type will give you the best ride, but at the expense of some flex.

The hardest part is caster, which will keep the Jeep stable when hitting bumps. At 3.5" of lift you really can't dial in enough caster because you'll need to keep pinion angle. The solution is to cut knuckles and rotate (no thanks) or go with a new front axle that addresses caster.

Then shocks, everyone's tastes are different so adjustable shocks carry some appeal. Rancho 9000XL and the Falcon 3.3 are the only 2 adjustable I have experience with. The Falcon are a whole 'nother league than the Ranchos IMO. Here's what I found: when my wife said she wanted a softer ride, that's not what she meant. I tried her out on the softest setting and she didn't like it, ended up on a 5 (out of 8 adjustment points, 8 being the firmest) that she liked best. So it turns out it wasn't really softness she was after, it was a good ride but still planted (more firm).

Now tires; E rated are the best on trails against punctures, but they'll also be the harshest riding. Going to a C or D rating will help that but at the cost of puncture resistance. And when aired down the C & D will flex more which helps on rock crawling. Be nice if there were a tire that could do everything :D

Lots more to the equation like weight (armor, bumpers, winches, etc) drive shafts, brakes, high steer, and on & on & on......

So to sum up a long winded thread, building a jeep is all about compromises, just have to decide what is best for you.

Good luck! And hopefully see you at SMORR :thumb:

PS- If I were building a Jeep with good road manors and 37s today, I'd go with the new Teraflex Alpine CT4 and a new front axle (with caster built in). But Metalcloak and Rock Krawler are great lifts too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I decided to try the rancho 5000x just simply bc the price was so low I don't have much to lose.

If they live up to the internet reviews for ride quality then I'm sure I'll be happy.

I can't afford kings or the teraflex offerings myself but could have probably stretched up to the fox 2.0's...

There are so many conflicting things about all of them- I found a thread where the fox shocks had torn off a metal point on someone's jeep (there are photos somewhere on the net but I don't have the link handy) and a few mediocre reviews.

Bilstein 5100's were also recommended but then some said that the ride was harsh and on big hits they overcompressed... for me I would rather run my stock units than have that issue.

So in the end given the price I went with the Ranchos.

I don't have them installed but what I will say is their presentation is poor- the fit and finish is what I mean by this.

I had to tape them up and repaint them more or less as there was raw metal showing everywhere. I recoated with clear and finished with Klasse supergloss once all the paint and clear was put on (still doesn't look great but I'm hoping to avoid rust).

I couldn't get the parts closest to the piston entry so they are still raw metal looking unfortunately.

The weld quality looks poor as well and the eyelets aren't perfectly round nor is the rubber bits uniformly pressed in on the eyelets...

So- presentation is poor and from the net they have rust issues (which isn't hard to imagine given the lack of finishing on them).

I'm confident that any of the alternatives I've mentioned above would be far and away better fit and finish wise than the Ranchos- but again I got the Ranchos for a song and if they work like they are reviewed as then I'll live with their shortcomings no problem.

I do kinda wish that Ranchos would offer a premium fit and finish product on the 5000x- I would pay more for not having to do a respray job on it etc!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just installed the Rancho 2 Inch kit with the adjustable 9000XL's.
The ride is improved by far. I haven't played with too much in terms of adjustment but
I'm very happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts