Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around 44,000 miles on my stock shocks. Rides fine but someone told me the stock Rubicon shocks are shot by this time. Jeep is a 2012, I just wonder if anyone knows the reality of the shocks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How is the ride quality from when you first purchased the Jeep? If its a big difference it could be a sign that your shocks are going.

I have around 44,000 miles on my stock shocks. Rides fine but someone told me the stock Rubicon shocks are shot by this time. Jeep is a 2012, I just wonder if anyone knows the reality of the shocks.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
the thing with shocks is they degrade gradually over time so you don't really notice how bad they have gotten until you put a new set on.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What are the signs of bad shocks?

Instability at highway speeds....

Vehicle “tips” to one side in turns....

The front end dives more than expected during hard braking....

Rear-end squat during acceleration....

Tires bouncing excessively....

Unusual tire wear....

Leaking fluid on the exterior of shocks or struts....

Experts say that shocks and struts should be replaced every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. However, that's just a general recommendation. The life span of shocks and struts will depend on your driving patterns.

^^^according to the google.........

Reactions: roots_remain

·
Super Moderator
16,378 Posts
On the highway, shocks last pretty well... But I live on a dirt road that has potholes and roads around me aren't great either... I doubt mine are good at 40k miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
One classic shock test has always been to give the vehicle a really good bounce down on the suspension. It should go down and come back up. Anything beyond that, like coming back up past the starting point and having to go back down to the starting point because it overshot, is the shock not doing its job. How much is acceptable depends on you. But typically if a shock is doing its job correctly if you bounce down on the suspension it will only come back up to ride height and not past it so it has to go back down.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers. I see nothing wrong with handling or any of the other mentioned things to look for. The only thing I notice is slight cupping of the tires and that is both front and rear. My Jeep sees some off road driving on occasion but mainly highway miles as well as being towed behind the motorhome. If I were to replace them what are some good shocks to go with?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,832 Posts
For me, its the age. Assume that rig was made in 2011. They are now "9" years old. They have been under pressure for 9 years and exposed to heat/cold and the myriad of road conditions. Due to age, I'd replace them simply to have a better daily driver.

Reactions: 530ktm

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I see nothing wrong with handling or any of the other mentioned things to look for. The only thing I notice is slight cupping of the tires and that is both front and rear. My Jeep sees some off road driving on occasion but mainly highway miles as well as being towed behind the motorhome. If I were to replace them what are some good shocks to go with?
For better shocks the choices are pretty varied.
At the low end is Rancho, with the non-adjustable 5000 series shocks and the adjustable 9000 series shocks. Rancho shocks aren't high end, but they are good value shocks. The 5000 series shocks will likely be firmer than your stock shocks, but most find they ride better. The 9000's have the advantage of being adjustable, allowing you to adjust the ride to suit your tastes / needs. You can get 4 5000 series Rancho's for under $200, while the 9000 series would run twice that.
OME / MetalCloak, they are nice lower cost shocks. I think only the OME versions in yellow will work with stock lift height. The red MetalCloak versions are for lifted Jeeps as I recall.
Fox make nice shocks for Jeeps. Higher quality than Rancho at a higher price. They have aluminum bodies and high pressure gas charge.
Bilstein makes nice shocks for Jeeps, although the stock height versions tend to be the lower cost versions, not as nice as the higher end Bilsteins.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I just replaced a set with some Bilstien 5100's. Sorta in between Rancho RS5000 and RS9000 shocks. But I ran across a great deal on them.

JK32 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

JK34 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
16,378 Posts
Rancho 5000X is the value shock champion for sure. I ran a set for almost 3 years.

The Bilsteins are a little more money and many people like them, I had a set on mine and took them off really quickly.

The OME is a great option and even more money as is the FOX 2.0 IFP. The FOX shock is aluminum so it's good for areas where you get a lot of road salt, etc.

I now run Falcon's and they are my favorite shock so far, but they don't really have a set for stock Jeeps.

But you can easily blow 2 mortgage payments on shocks if you want to, a set of entry level Kings is $1100 and their piggy backs are $2500...

But they sure are pretty!

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...pec-2-0-non-reservoir-shocks-front-0-2in-lift

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rancho 5000X is the value shock champion for sure. I ran a set for almost 3 years.

The Bilsteins are a little more money and many people like them, I had a set on mine and took them off really quickly.

The OME is a great option and even more money as is the FOX 2.0 IFP. The FOX shock is aluminum so it's good for areas where you get a lot of road salt, etc.

I now run Falcon's and they are my favorite shock so far, but they don't really have a set for stock Jeeps.

But you can easily blow 2 mortgage payments on shocks if you want to, a set of entry level Kings is $1100 and their piggy backs are $2500...

But they sure are pretty!

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...pec-2-0-non-reservoir-shocks-front-0-2in-lift
I ran OME complete suspension set up on my TJ and no complaints. Nobody has mentioned Rough Country. I had a suspension person tell me these are great shocks for the money. He can sell all the others but for this Jeep he said this is the way he would do it. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
16,378 Posts
I ran OME complete suspension set up on my TJ and no complaints. Nobody has mentioned Rough Country. I had a suspension person tell me these are great shocks for the money. He can sell all the others but for this Jeep he said this is the way he would do it. Thoughts?
The 2 things RC makes that I wont run are their shocks and springs... I admit I haven't had any experience with their newer N3 series shocks, but the N2's are yuck. The springs sag over time and the shocks leak. Their brackets and skids and most other components are fine for a weekend warrior.

That's just my opinion...

Reactions: 530ktm and jadmt

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Yup make good skid plates but i would go tried and true on shocks.

Reactions: 530ktm

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
Rough Country shocks don't have a good history of satisfied customers. They tend to be more popular with people who are putting them on as part of flipping the Jeep (as in selling it, not rolling it).
They may be good for trucks (or not), but they don't seem to work well on Jeeps. I would be scared of a "suspension person" who is trying to steer me towards one of the bottom of the barrel shocks for my Jeep. I don't know why he is pushing you that way, it could be he doesn't know better or it could be some other reason. But if you want a value oriented shock I would go with the Rancho 5000's as mentioned. There are better shocks, but not anywhere near that price. Under $200 for 4 is hard to beat. But I do recommend applying a coat of paint to them as the original "paint" is pretty thin. That is really their main weak point.

·
Registered
166 Posts

I would never run roughy country suspension on my Jeep again. After only a year my N3 shocks were completely shot and so were the springs. I was sagging and bouncing all over the road. I now have a Metalcloak lift and it’s a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,832 Posts
Bilsteins 5100's are an excellent shock, if your rig weighs more than average. I have found that when I am loaded up and full of fuel, I get a really nice ride out of them. Just me and low on fuel and they are pretty stiff. Great for overlanding, maybe not so great as a DD? Unless your mall crawl rating includes a RTT, skids, bumpers and a winch?

·
Commercial Member
7,874 Posts
I'd stop listening to that guy just IMHO.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I replaced mine at 29k last year on my 10A. I was having a few tire issues and bought new tires, alignment and new shocks. I didn't realize how bad they were until I compared to the new ones. I bought a set off a recon(100 miles) for a little of nothing and have no issues.
But I'm one of those people that us her as a DD with no off road.
Eads

·
Registered
427 Posts
Another comment on the Rancho adjustable 9000 here.

I'm not well versed in Jeep shocks, though. I usually run mine max soft offroad, mid range on highway, and taut rear when towing a 1500 lb. trailer. Bought when they were running a deal, I think it was essentially a set for $200 or maybe less.

Anything missing compared to the 4x $ units? I do like the flexibility and can't imagine a non-adj being so darn useful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts