Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,
I'm looking for some details on the shoe creek trail system. Such as, where exactly is the trailhead, and is it still even open to the public? Is there any planned group events up there soon?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Perkins mill rd, Roseland Va. Perkins mill rd turns Into the trailhead. You'll end up what basically seems like your driving though a guys yard, but it's a road. Yes it is open to the public, I went about 2-3 weeks ago. As for any meets, I'm not too sure, but create your own event for it and invite people.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was just there this past weekend. Follow perkins mill road to the end. Let us know if you plan on going so maybe we can get a group together.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't think the fire roads open until April 4 but I may be mistaken. But shoe creek is open

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went up to The Priest peak which is on the Appalachian Trail but we came from the north side all the way to where it crosses the trail. To continue south on that trail it was restricted to ATV and dirt bike only so make sure your not driving where you shouldn't.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The main trail is the only safe bet, any offshoot trails are problematic so make sure you know where you are with the Forest Service MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map). Here is a link to Virginia's: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5392127.pdf

Shoe Creek trail follows the West side of "The Priest" Wilderness area and is shown on maps 27 and 28 on the MVUM. The Lousianna-shaped area in the middle is the private land crossing that has been allowed. Attached is a colorized version.

The main trail crosses private property for approximately 1/2 mile dead center on the Shoe Creek Trail. The owners have supported innocent passage but many wheelers still drive off the main trail and into private land. Exploring off the main trail is threatening access to the entire thing. Keep an eye out for signs. NOTE: ANYTHING off the trail to the East is Wilderness Area with NO MOTOR VEHICLES allowed. Big time federal trespass if caught.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shoe Creek Trail This Saturday 10-14-14

Hey everyone im headed up to shoe creek trail this saturday to check it out what can anyone tell me about it?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Hey everyone im headed up to shoe creek trail this saturday to check it out what can anyone tell me about it?
Are you going solo? There is zero cell reception on the trial and limited once you get out. Just FYI.

If you wanna know about the trail PM me. Nothing too difficult though. I'm stock and I run it just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone from the Roanoke area, or any area in that case, wanna hit shoe Creek in the next couple weeks? I'm running a stock YJ so from what I see here looks like I'll be fine.

*first post on the forums

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll been trying to meet up with a group to go to Shoe Creek. I have a very capiable TJ. I'm looking to head down there this weekend, let's get a group together. I have Two rubicons I work with possibly coming as well

1 - 20 of 46 Posts