Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After giving up on trying to diagose my no starting issue, :surrender: I broke down and had my Jeep towed to a shop I trust.

They are telling me the PCM, power control module, is bad. They also said they looked around for a remanufactured one but couldn't find one so they have to order it from the dealer.

They are quoating me $850 for parts and labor. What does the PCM usually cost? Does this sound like a decent quote? I live in south florida where shop rates are $80-$90 an hour and dealers are ~$120/hr.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What year is your TJ? What was the starting issue? I find a PCM issue highly unlikely...just don't see it much in my experience.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98 4.0 128k miles

I was having issues with a delayed start then finally it just stopped starting one day, thought it might have been the fuel pump and/or fuel preassure regulator. I replaced that whole unit two weeks ago and still nothing. It cranks hard but doesn't turn.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
PCM failure code is really really rare.. I've never known anyone to suffer this failure... I would ask the shop for some "show me" time. Will they allow you to witness their diagnosis? If they charge much more than 1/2 hour for swapping a new one in, they are ripping you off,,, you or I could do it in 15 minutes, plus whatever time it takes to re-boot your info..

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure they would share with me their diagnosis but I don't know what I'm looking for.

What might it be then? Everything happens like it is suppose too but it just doesn't fire up....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Auto computer exchange.com or sonething close to that well sell you rebuilt ones for $250 bucks. If it is indeed your pcm

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did you check the antidrainback/ anti-drain back valve when changing the fuel pump? Search the forum. I think Jerry Bransford had a pic or writeup a while back. Very common issue for fuel-starved starts.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Update?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They swear its the PCM so its on order and they hope to install it on Monday. Then we'll see if its indeed the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts