Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got billed 10 hours to put a smittybuilt front and rear bumper with a winch does that sound right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
you could have done it alone in half that time. Thats definitely excessive. Even if they had to drop the gas tank to get to the bolts for the rear bumper, that wouldnt add too much time.

I'd give 10 hours as a fair estimate for a first time wrencher, who is taking pics and documenting the process. 10 hours for a shop? They should be able to swap a motor in 10 hours.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Depends on your Jeep. If its brand new, the front bumper should have come right off no problem. If its a 20 year old YJ. They probably had to soak/heat/cut off the rusted torx bolts to even get the bumper off...

Then, the new bumper should go on fairly easy, but then the winch has to bolted on and wired.

Then same thing for the rear bumper, it either comes off easy, or it can be a real b****.

But 10 hours is ridiculous either way. 6-7 hours absolutely worst case possible. If it took longer than that, they either didn't have the correct tools, or they had no idea what they were doing

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Whoa.. it probably took me 5 hrs to put my front bumper and rear tire carrier on. All the holes lined up and I don't have any rust so maybe they had issues with removing bolts/ holes not lining up? Either way 10hrs is way too much. Wiring the winch is pretty simple too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Whoa.. it probably took me 5 hrs to put my front bumper and rear tire carrier on. All the holes lined up and I don't have any rust so maybe they had issues with removing bolts/ holes not lining up? Either way 10hrs is way too much. Wiring the winch is pretty simple too.
There are two kinds of wiring jobs though. The ones we do ourselves, and the ones done by a shop. Wiring done by a shop should be done correctly, as in routed correctly and secured to the frame correctly. It does take time to do detailed work. Just not that much

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
snowbrd84 said:
There are two kinds of wiring jobs though. The ones we do ourselves, and the ones done by a shop. Wiring done by a shop should be done correctly, as in routed correctly and secured to the frame correctly. It does take time to do detailed work. Just not that much
Wiring a winch doesn't require going to the frame. Just go through the grill. If you know what your doing it doesn't take very long to wire everything up and do it neatly.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Ask for some information as to why it took so long. You'll either gain a better understanding of what they went through, or you will uncover their dishonesty. One way or another I feel the best thing to do is to go to the source and ask why???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyway back country in las Vegas would not make it right jake refused to compromise with me may take it up with visa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info now that I have the lift I get a really bad shaking when I hit a bump on the hi way checked for lose or disconnected items but all looks fine any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts