Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
X a million. I have a guy interested in my recon and I am actually insisting he come in person. In doing research I have found that Cashiers checks are no safer than a personal check. My bank confirmed this. Cashier check has to be run thru the system and there is no guarantee there will be sufficient funds by the time the check gets thru the system. My bank said Bank of America is the worst and most risky because BoA will not even communicate with another bank to verify whether they even issued the cashiers check.
Cashier Checks used to be. A bank that issued it while not withdrawing the money from the account, would put a hold on the account for the amount of the check. I guess that's too much work these days.

I used to have a local branch BA checking account but closed it several decades ago when they were going to charge an annual fee for the privilege of having a BA debit card. I moved my local account to a local bank down the street.

In this case, the check should be good (unless the member plans some hanky panky) but the Jeep may not be. Shoot, the Jeep may not even be real (except in the photo).

We had an issue here several months ago when an ad showed up in a local for sale listing (not CL) selling a 2003 Jeep Rubicon for $700. The photo showed a Rubicon in what looked like great condition and listed fairly low mileage. A friend called me because he knew I had a Jeep of that vintage. He did not know what a Rubicon even was (or even that mine is). He was curious if that was a "good price". My reply was - "you must mean $7000". He said no, and send me a copy of the ad. I sent an email to the seller pointing out what was apparently a typo in their ad. I got an e-mail back that no, she was in the USAF (based in Kansas) and was being transferred to Alaska and needed to sell the Jeep before she left, but the Jeep was in California and bundeled up for selling. Red Flags and Alarms go off!

Anyone who has been in the service for any length of time would see the danger signals. The US will transport a vehicle for a service member (they shipped my 1969 Volvo from SF to the Philippines when I went there in 1969). And who in their right mind who owned a very capable Jeep and was being transferred to Adak would leave it behind?

Buying a used Jeep from anyone not a reputable dealership, I would want to inspect not only the Jeep, but the title and compare it to the VIN on the Jeep (in two locations).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Status update. The seller won't come down from 30k for a 2103 10a jku w 36000 miles. That seems too high since I can get a new Rubicon for 40. So the search continues..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Odd the frame is so clean and the shocks are so rusted.....frame has been repainted or coated as they painted over the bolts.
Yup, I agree.
If I was him, I woulda grabbed the one with the AEV kit.
Wayyyyy better than stock!!!
have a great Memorial day weekend

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
KBB show the trade in on that Jeep between $26K and $29K. The 10A is prized commodity, much more valuable than the standard Rubicon

If I read the sign in front of my local dealership, they are financing for 72 months at 0%. That may make a new one a better deal.

·
Super Moderator
14,855 Posts
Odd the frame is so clean and the shocks are so rusted.....frame has been repainted or coated as they painted over the bolts.
I suspect it's had an underbelly treatment. Nothing wrong with that...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts