Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend a particular brand CAI for a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara? Where to purchase? Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
If you get one like this it scoops up the coldest air ...

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
Cold air does sink. :D
Well that can be debated.... does it sink or is it pushed down by the hot air from above?

Actually the coldest air is at 50,000 feet. The challenge would be how to scoop up that air with a CAI while at sea level.

If we can figure that out, then we will have the best CAI ...

The only dilemma, not exactly sure what it would do once you got it here.

Does it have enough oxygen to spark a flame?

I never did well in science... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
And will suck up a puddle of water like a straw. :nonono:
Huh? ... we're not trying to suck water from a puddle. The challenge is to scoop up the coldest air...

Where to find that air is the question of the day.. don't complicate this task with water.

:doh:

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
m998dna said:
Huh? ... we're not trying to suck water from a puddle. The challenge is to scoop up the coldest air...

Where to find that air is the question of the day.. don't complicate this task with water.

:doh:

Having an air intake with the filter located lower in the engine compartment will definitely get cooler and more dense air into the engine.

However, the lower it is mounted your chances of hydrolocking the engine are magnified drastically. If you ever plan on driving your jeep offroad and crossing a shallow stream or even a deep puddle in the mall parking lot there is good chance you'll suck water into the engine rendering it useless. I've done that to a car almost 20 years ago driving through a flooded hotel parking lot.. It's not worth the risk IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
Having an air intake with the filter located lower in the engine compartment will definitely get cooler and more dense air into the engine.

However, the lower it is mounted your chances of hydrolocking the engine are magnified drastically. If you ever plan on driving your jeep offroad and crossing a shallow stream or even a deep puddle in the mall parking lot there is good chance you'll suck water into the engine rendering it useless. I've done that to a car almost 20 years ago driving through a flooded hotel parking lot.. It's not worth the risk IMO.

Understood... my point exactly. A CAI is basically a waste of money and increases the risk of ownership...

What did it cost you to replace your motor?

I've known guys that hydrolocked their Hemi's and cost them close to $8K.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
m998dna said:
Understood... my point exactly. A CAI is basically a waste of money and increases the risk of ownership...

What did it cost you to replace your motor?

I've known guys that hydrolocked their Hemi's and cost them close to $8K.

It was many years ago on my first car. Got a junkyard motor for about $400 that was junk but I got about $900 out of the car trading it in.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
I would look at the rugged ridge or river raider expedition snorkel, they are very minimal and will move the intake to a better location then the factory.

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
Well, if you must... after reading many threads and watching people change from this to that brand over the years, the AFE has typically been more widely accepted and valued as a hearty and well designed CAI..

I guess as long as you stay out of rivers, streams and those deep mall puddles you'll be okay...

I would lean toward the Stage-2 Si...

Good luck, whatever you decide.

aFePower.com

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I am considering one just for the sound. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts