Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a shop in the OC area to get some work done on my JK. Trying to avoid bigger, over-priced, we-know-it-all shops.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
Try Jeep Care center in Huntington beach. We use them when we can't get to JPI In Yucipa. Good guys.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
OC Offroad. Pete is the owner, and he's a great guy. Right around the corner from Jeep Care. A bit smaller shop, but very personable. And they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Try Jeep Care center in Huntington beach. We use them when we can't get to JPI In Yucipa. Good guys.
Any experience with Orange County Offroad and Auto center? They're down the street from Jeep Care. I was considering trying this shop when I need somthing.

I had tried contacting them about doing a SOA on the yj I had, but didn't hear back from them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
T&J Performance
1002 W Collins Ave
Orange, CA 92867
(714) 633-0991

A couple buddies have taken their JK's there with great results.
If I had something I couldn't do myself I would take my LJ there also.

Great guys that aren't afraid to walk you through their shop. Not only enthusiast but also race JeepSpeed.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Any experience with Orange County Offroad and Auto center? They're down the street from Jeep Care. I was considering trying this shop when I need somthing.

I had tried contacting them about doing a SOA on the yj I had, but didn't hear back from them.
Yes, in my post above. Pete is very good. He used to work at Jeep Care, which I also understand is very good.

T&J Performance
1002 W Collins Ave
Orange, CA 92867
(714) 633-0991

A couple buddies have taken their JK's there with great results.
If I had something I couldn't do myself I would take my LJ there also.

Great guys that aren't afraid to walk you through their shop. Not only enthusiast but also race JeepSpeed.
T&J has always been good. Years ago, I used to race SCORE, AMSA, and BAJA Cross. They advised my ex partner on his Jeep pickup he was building, and did a bit of the work on some of it. He never ended up racing the truck, because it scared the crap out of him. But T&J have been racing a long time. It does give you insight into what works and what doesn't, right away. They know Jeeps.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks Dustdevil
I didn't see your post when I sent mine :)

Good to know these two shops are just down the street from me.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts

No I found Dustin and he has done great work for my buddy and I.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you want done? there are several shops that charge higher depending on what type of installation. OCMotorsports charged me $600 to install my RK 2.5 max travel. they also charged me $200 to install my C Gussets.
I've got a 2.5" lift, need new fenders to clear my 35's. My current situation after Cleghorn this last Saturday. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I've got a 2.5" lift, need new fenders to clear my 35's. My current situation after Cleghorn this last Saturday. Lol
Fenders cost a lot at shops. I've been shopping around... Metal fenders were about 1k for installation at 4wp, around 800 at OCmotorsports and rebel. I even asked about plastic fenders and Rebel quoted me at 600.

Btw, I've seen the video that Notarubicon posted today lol.

·
Registered
731 Posts
This thread had me worried about getting a rear bumper and tire carrier installed at 4WP in Santa Ana. Got an appt for tomorrow and never asked what it's going to cost. You know, cause money don't mean 'nut'n to me. :)

Called Jeep Care and he quoted me $480. 4WP just quoted me $350.

Not saying anything bad about Jeep Care. I havn't used them. But in this case, 4WP turns out to be less expensive.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
This thread had me worried about getting a rear bumper and tire carrier installed at 4WP in Santa Ana. Got an appt for tomorrow and never asked what it's going to cost. You know, cause money don't mean 'nut'n to me. :)

Called Jeep Care and he quoted me $480. 4WP just quoted me $350.

Not saying anything bad about Jeep Care. I havn't used them. But in this case, 4WP turns out to be less expensive.
I think you're going to find that if it's something they sell, and if it's a bolt-on/bolt-off affair, 4WP is fine. If it requires custom fitting, fabrication, trick one-off parts to complete the task, you'd be much better off at a place like Jeep Care or OC Offroad. For example, anything that requires welding, gearing, transfer case work, or troubleshooting, you probably want someone other than 4WP. That's fairly consistent with the higher rate for installing your bumper/tire rack. The guys at a place like Jeep Care are also fabricators, troubleshooters, etc. You're paying a higher rate for those guys to bolt on a bumper.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think you're going to find that if it's something they sell, and if it's a bolt-on/bolt-off affair, 4WP is fine. If it requires custom fitting, fabrication, trick one-off parts to complete the task, you'd be much better off at a place like Jeep Care or OC Offroad. For example, anything that requires welding, gearing, transfer case work, or troubleshooting, you probably want someone other than 4WP. That's fairly consistent with the higher rate for installing your bumper/tire rack. The guys at a place like Jeep Care are also fabricators, troubleshooters, etc. You're paying a higher rate for those guys to bolt on a bumper.
That's kind of what I was thinking.
I was going to type that JC may not do this as often as 4WP, but I'm sure they do.... but like you said, they probably fabricate custom stuff more than off the shelf.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fenders cost a lot at shops. I've been shopping around... Metal fenders were about 1k for installation at 4wp, around 800 at OCmotorsports and rebel. I even asked about plastic fenders and Rebel quoted me at 600. Btw, I've seen the video that Notarubicon posted today lol.
Haha! Well I'm glad you got a laugh out of it, it was fun to say the least.

I'm talking to someone who says he's willing to trim the ones I have, which I'm OK with because I was going to buy plastic ones anyway, just need to make sure I didn't actually rip anything. Thanks for your suggestions

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking.
I was going to type that JC may not do this as often as 4WP, but I'm sure they do.... but like you said, they probably fabricate custom stuff more than off the shelf.
This. You ought to just go by there and see his work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been trying to reach out to some of the shops listed to get quotes on a regear, but man is it expensive. So far I'm looking at $1k per axle (parts and labor), is this normal? Also is it bad/hard to drive on stock 32's with 4.88 gears and a manual? Is first gear useless?

also @hockeyfamily just install the bumper/tire carrier yourself. It's very easy, and just 8 bolts for the bumper. If you need help just let me now :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have been trying to reach out to some of the shops listed to get quotes on a regear, but man is it expensive. So far I'm looking at $1k per axle (parts and labor), is this normal? Also is it bad/hard to drive on stock 32's with 4.88 gears and a manual? Is first gear useless? also @hockeyfamily just install the bumper/tire carrier yourself. It's very easy, and just 8 bolts for the bumper. If you need help just let me now :)
That's about what I paid for my re-gear..

I have 4.88s on 35's and my 1st gear is almost useless.. Can't imagine on 32's.. You would probably be starting in 2nd normally, and even 3rd if on a (down) hill.. Forget about going over 65 on the freeway unless you don't mind spinning that crankshaft over 3k RPM..
Unless you plan on going to at least 35's, I would say 4.88 is too much gear.
However, off-road/in the rocks it should be awesome! Especially if you have a 4:10/Rubi transfercase...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts