Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Quick question about clutch feel. About 5 years ago I replaced my master/slave cylinder on the clutch and things have worked just fine. I replaced the clutch last year but left the master/slave I had. About 2 weeks ago, I was left without being able to get into gear. I think we have all been there, it was a gradual decline until I was not able to get into first or reverse and was starting out in second and shifting through RPMs to get home. I finally got my new master/slave installed and its back up and running. I've noticed now my clutch is really short. I feel like I should be driving a muscle car. As soon as I let up on the clutch is already starting to grab, which is fine, just different than how its felt in the past. So my question is, is it better to have a shorter clutch response? Is this a sign of a better or worse quality master/slave cylinder? My last master/slave was all plastic. The new one seems better built and has a metal housing....

Just wondering the thoughts on this.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
What year YJ?
External slave could be the push rod is slightly longer.
Or, it'd be like slow cooking a frog... you didn't notice the gradual change.
I think you are fine as long as the clutch isn't' slipping.
I experienced the same thing after swapping in a new master/slave just the other week. Had to re-learn the friction (grab) points.

John D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year YJ?
External slave could be the push rod is slightly longer.
Or, it'd be like slow cooking a frog... you didn't notice the gradual change.
I think you are fine as long as the clutch isn't' slipping.
I experienced the same thing after swapping in a new master/slave just the other week. Had to re-learn the friction (grab) points.

John D
Hey John,

So a 1995 YJ. Yup, no slippage. Just a different feel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts