Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I put a short antennae on, and it works OK for the major stations in my area (DC metro area). I stream everything I consume using a hotspot that I keep in the Jeep. Once you get outside major cities your channel choices drop pretty quickly.

But I keep a long antenna tucked away under the seats in case something "real" happens. That way I can put it on if I need over the air to be as good as it can be.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
the stubby worked well with the factory HU. Switched to a Pioneer and now have weak reception, so I covered my old factory one and reinstalled it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't get the attraction of a short antenna. Sure the antenna twangs off some branches now and then when your wheeling, but that is no big deal.

Of all the stuff I plan to improve, the antenna is last on the list. Especially when the 'improvement' actually reduces reception.
If it's going to hinder reception then I agree. Where I'm located I pick up a lot of awesome Canadian stations that I wouldn't want to lose.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Don't know about music reception but with ham radio they always say the taller the better.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've noticed a drop in reception with my 12" Amazon stubby, but Sirius also tends to be in and out (using factory antenna for that), so it might be my Kenwood radio doesn't like stubby's. Planning to replace it with an 18-24" at some point. Or find my stocker and cut it down.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If it's going to hinder reception then I agree. Where I'm located I pick up a lot of awesome Canadian stations that I wouldn't want to lose.
Really which ones? Most of the stations around here are crap.
91.7 - The Giant
99.9 - Virgin Radio
101.1 - More FM
104.5 - CHUM FM
105.1 - The River
105.7 EZ Rock
107.7 - The Edge

I listen to all kinds of music and bounce around stations, US and CA, till I find something good on.
Classic rock, pop, Alt Edge, 80's stuff, country, oldies (and by that I mean the era of skinny Elvis).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've noticed a drop in reception with my 12" Amazon stubby, but Sirius also tends to be in and out (using factory antenna for that), so it might be my Kenwood radio doesn't like stubby's. Planning to replace it with an 18-24" at some point. Or find my stocker and cut it down.
What's the difference between a stubby and your stock antenna cut down? Wouldn't that lose reception also because it would now be a stubby?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
It will most likely have little effect on your radio performance, but where I live the radio stations are several miles away and the stubby wouldn't receive many radio stations.

The antenna that is from factory is intended for the best performance with the standard radios. Depending on the antenna, coax, receiver, head unit, etc. will determine the effectiveness of the long/short antenna. Some people might not notice a difference because they live/commute mostly in good radio reception areas, but those on fringe areas will experience the most reductions in performance.

·
Premium Member
9,587 Posts
Antennas in general are the longer the better. If you live in a metropolitan area not really that much difference in performance but in as you move away from the signal it will drop off much faster. In outlying areas the shorter antennas will probably not even pick up the signal.

The shark fin antennas are primarily in use to help aerodynamics. The are also amplified to bring in the signals better.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Geography plays alot. We're about 30 minutes south of downtown Ft. Worth and 45 minutes south of downtown Dallas. We put a 6 inch stubby on ours and for the most part everything is fine. We do notice some crackly sounds occasionally that we didn't have before, but nothing we'd complain about. We would rather have the stubby. As for satellite, it goes out driving under a bridge anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts