Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who actually trimmed about 6" off of his stock Tacoma antenna....definately looks better and he claims it did not effect his reception. A Taco antenna looks exactly like a JK antenna BTW. He simply popped off the "ball", cut about 6" off, and then glued the ball back in place with a small dab of JB Weld. I have been thinking of doing this on my 2013 JK, simply because the factory antenna is so dang tall and can/does get hung up if I unload a kayak off the passenger side of my Jeep.

Anyone tried this? I know I could go to a aftermarket antenna, but I don't like the look and I don't want to spend any $ to replace the factory antenna....just to modify the darn thing.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
It most certainly does affect reception--his primary radio stations were just strong enough to still sound fine.

Yep, I've seen antennas where guys clip off the ball, clip a section of antenna out, and re-solder the ball into place.

Personally, I chose to just spend the $15 on a shorter aftermarket one so I can keep the original in my shed should I ever desire it again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree, it should/would/will affect reception. Antenna's are not just made to any length, then need to be in full bandwidth's for the best reception. and remember longer is not necessarily better (come on with the banter on that comment), a shorter 1 bandwidth length antenna will receive reception better than a longer 1.5.

Does make any sense? lol

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Simple physics really.

The factory antenna length is a tuned mathematical compromise between the medium wave AM band [500-1700 kHz] and the very high frequency FM band [87-108 MHz]. When it is cut, the ability of the antenna to physically receive is impeded and reception suffers.

Many people live near AM and or FM transmitters, so they assume that there is no effect when they cut or put in stubby antennas, but if they drive out on a road trip and listen to the radio, they will notice the lack of signals. One person I know took off their antenna completely and claimed that antennas were worthless, but he lives in the central city and mostly listens to mp.3s.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some folks here continually report no signal loss with those cheap AntennaX stubby antennas. Gotta laugh when I read those posts! Those antennas look great but suck function wise.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a black stubby antenna--I only experience slight distortion...but I did it for cosmetic reasons, plus I listen to satellite now... Detroit radio blows...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Anyone who's ever trusted more than their music enjoyment to an antenna knows that length matters...a lot. Shape and orientation matter quite a lot as well, but as a practical matter an omni directional antenna is the norm for cars.

If you're not worried about your reception...who cares? If you are...do some math first.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Go with satellite and concealed antenna. I had one of mine broken off by a punk. I guess it's just too tempting for some people to walk by it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do they make any type of stubby that doesn't lose reception? Guess when I think about it, it does make sense why changing to the stubby yesterday and the decrease in reception were correlated. Need more caffeine!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Dabrewski said:
Do they make any type of stubby that doesn't lose reception? Guess when I think about it, it does make sense why changing to the stubby yesterday and the decrease in reception were correlated. Need more caffeine!
No--it's a physics thing. The length is actually part of why the reception is as good as it is. Asking for a shorter antenna that does as good of a job is like asking for a smaller shoe that still fits your foot. Just doesn't work, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
MTH said:
No--it's a physics thing. The length is actually part of why the reception is as good as it is. Asking for a shorter antenna that does as good of a job is like asking for a smaller shoe that still fits your foot. Just doesn't work, unfortunately.
Love this!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
MTH said:
I agree! These cheap AntennaX antennas only look ok, they certainly don't work ok. The OEM antenna is heads and heels a better antenna.....only if you want reception from your radio.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Right . . . to be clear fellas, I have a shorty antenna as well. My stocker is in the shed.

I don't object to the short antenna--I think it's great on the trails and just looks better generally. My point is only that there's no free lunch--short antennas look better and work better in terms of staying out of the way on trails, but they don't work better in terms of actual reception.

Like so many other purpose-built mods, they do what they do better than stock, but you've got to pay the piper somehow in other areas.

For those of us (like myself) that live in reasonably well populated areas that have strong radio signals generally, it's a non-issue. I noticed no significant difference in my daily commute after swapping to a short antenna. Road trips, however, are different. Stations that used to be heard loud and clear in certain areas just don't stay with me as long.

It's the "cost of doing business."

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I went with the 'STARMATE 8' radio from Sirius. A-la-cart subscription for $8.oo a month for 50 channels. I was able to use the factory antenna connection from behind the radio. :thumb:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went with the 'STARMATE 8' radio from Sirius. A-la-cart subscription for $8.oo a month for 50 channels. I was able to use the factory antenna connection from behind the radio. :thumb:
What the heck does that have to do with chopping off a stock antenna?:whistling:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts