Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be swapping my motor, but wasnt sure if it is worth swapping the tc and tranny for something shorter if there is anything. I would like to reduce my driveshaft angle as much as possible to avoid destroying ujoints all the time with the extra HP. Obviously that would give me some extra length. I could also pull back my rear an inch.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
A t150 is pretty short when mated to a Dana 20 or 300 but the gearing sucks. On the plus side it might mate right up to the bell housing, I run a np435 to a Dana 20 and its about 5" longer but the gearing is much better. In my cj the front and rear ds were almost the same length with the 150/20 combo when I yanked them.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My problem is I like my trail rig as my DD. I still beat the crap out of it though. I would like to reduce the angle in the rear as much as possible so I can get the ride as smooth as possible without a double cardan joint so it will take much more abuse. I am not willing to sacrifice gearing or strength anywhere else though. With the setup you currently have how much shorter is it? And dont forget I still need a pass side drop of course.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Here's the 435 next to the 150. And the 435 adapted and installed. Check out the novak web site or call advance adapters. Both were very helpful.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because they suck. I am on my 2nd in 3 months with a 4cyl. They arent good with water either. The amount of lift i got makes the driveline angle crappy. Need to get it lower so i can use normal shaft with 1350 joints, but i refuse to drop my tc

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jrussblues said:
Here's the 435 next to the 150. And the 435 adapted and installed. Check out the novak web site or call advance adapters. Both were very helpful.
Wow that is short. Realized i typed wrong. Need driver side drop, not pass.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
If you are currently running the ax5/231 combo with a sye you should be around 32". A np435 is 10.5" and they were originally equipped mainly to ford small blocks in trucks with a granny gear pretty much standard, mate that to a Dana 20 at 10.5" + a 3.5" adapter will put you at 25.5" or 7" shorter than your current set up with a granny low of around 55:1 vs 44:1 given you are currently running 4.11 gears.
The downside is that it is a deep transmission and you would likely have to run a body lift or a tcase skid drop to squeeze it all in.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
You could run a np205 instead of a 20, which will gear it even lower and probably not need an adapter so even though its a little longer you would probably end up an inch shorter overall and have a driver side drop.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The other cool part about running a 302/435/205 is that your entire drive line would be cheap, damn near bulletproof and all ford parts so easily mated.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I converted it to an AX15. That made the length from the bellhouse to the TC 2" longer. I have about +1.5"-2" on top of my SOA. The angle is extremely steep. I have checked and double checked and if I put in a strait shaft I will get vibration. I cant have that and dont want that. That will lead to pinion/differential problems as well as possible TC problems. I refuse to drop the TC because I know there are better ways to do it. I dont want to lose any clearance, I bottom it out sometimes as it sits now. I know those double cardan shafts will not hold up to what I do with a V8 pushing it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are currently running the ax5/231 combo with a sye you should be around 32". A np435 is 10.5" and they were originally equipped mainly to ford small blocks in trucks with a granny gear pretty much standard, mate that to a Dana 20 at 10.5" + a 3.5" adapter will put you at 25.5" or 7" shorter than your current set up with a granny low of around 55:1 vs 44:1 given you are currently running 4.11 gears.
The downside is that it is a deep transmission and you would likely have to run a body lift or a tcase skid drop to squeeze it all in.
What would I be looking at? 1" body lift? I have 5 3" body lift blocks I can cut dow with a miter saw to make the 10 I would need to lift it. I pulled a 3" body lift out of it when I did the SOA. PO put in the body lift.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, if I pulled or found that TC and Tranny on CL how much should I expect to spend?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Get it from eBay and shop for a while. You want to make sure your current bell housing can take that transmission. The t-case should bolt right up. I think I paid about 250 for my np435 and I used my current transfer case. I imagine with some patience you could find a 435 and 205 together for 400 bucks or so. The good part about the two is that they could've been abused but they are hard to break. My np435 came from a 75 ford truck and it runs great almost 40 years later with no rebuild.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
As far as lining everything up, plan on dropping the skid in order to keep everything in line and having to drill some new holes in your current skid or have a 4wd shop Fab something for you. My cj runs a 4.5 sua and even with a 1" drop my skid is still slightly higher than my tucked skid on my lj with a 3.5. My bigger concern would be around why you keep burning up joints already, you might want to look at how your rear axle is shimmed. Also, don't forget that you will need to get drive shaft regardless. The 205 does not have a slip yoke already so you will not need a sye, but if you go with a cv style shaft you might need to swap the yoke to a cv style yoke. I recommend tattons drive shaft, high quality, low price.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Here is a pic of how far it sits up because of the depth of the transmission. Keep in mind my t case skid has been dropped 1" and this is a cj. You also have to keep in mind that if you tuck up too far your drive line will cock down toward the nose which could present other problems.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Actually most of them had a 351/400 in front of them with a 205 behind them. Also, a 205 is 1.96 to 1 ratio where a Dana 20 is 2.34 to 1.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Corrected on the 205, thanks...cj Dana 20 would be a 2.01:1 low, with a passenger drop, a bronco 20 would be a driver side drop with 2.46:1 and may bolt up without an adapter, but I'm not sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts