Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got around to checking, because I bought 4 new wheels to mount my winter tyres. But in the tool area at the rear was a small plastic bag with one locking wheel nut socket. The one locking wheel nut is on the spare. The little instruction sheet seems to say that there should have been 5 ? This is a European CRD model 18" standard alloys. How many locking nuts did your 2016 Unlimited have? one or Five? Have I been cheated somewhere along the line? did I have 5 and 2 sockets? and somewhere along the line a mechanic took the 4 from the road wheels? and one of the sockets ? (so why didn,t he also take the one from the spare?) Just puzzling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My Sport doesn't have locking wheel nuts and I'm glad. If it did come with them I would have had the dealer change them out for standard wheel nuts. IMO locking nuts are more trouble than they're worth. Years ago I put some on my 68 Camaro and when I trued to loosen the wheels to work on the brakes I couldn't get the locker off. The tool broke off in the lock and the whole thing stripped out. I really don't remember how I got the darn thing off. Keep in mind that when using alloy wheels the torque on the nuts is pretty high. In the "old days
they used to say 80 ft-lbs. I had the guys at the local tire shop tell my the Jeep's spec is 100 ft-lbs. A poorly fitting wheel lock key won't be able to take that.

That's just my opinion (for what it's worth).

·
Registered
721 Posts
My JKUHR came with a locking lug on each wheel and one or two extra in the center console it also came with 1 tool to unlock it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
^^^ What he said. I had none, bought a set of 5 McGard, they are McGarbage. They only come with 1 socket. I only use 1 of them now, on my spare. But if a scumbag really, really wants your rims, they are easy to defeat. A good pair of vice grips, or bash a similar sized socket on with a hammer.

I'd flog them off on CL if I could be bothered. Oh hey, do want a set of 5 with socket?

Reactions: rednroll and Fungun

·
Registered
501 Posts
Any lug nut locks that are on your Wrangler were installed by the dealer, they do not come from the factory with them.
Interesting.

Why would the dealer add anything to the vehicle without listing it as an extra in the window sticker?

Mine came with 5 and no added line item in the window sticker.

Also - I selected mine from on-line inventory. Personally walked the back lot to find it. It clearly had not yet been prepped by the dealer when I made my deal.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My JKUHR came with a locking lug on each wheel and one or two extra in the center console it also came with 1 tool to unlock it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine came with none...

Any lug nut locks that are on your Wrangler were installed by the dealer, they do not come from the factory with them.
^^ as I suspected

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Interesting.

Why would the dealer add anything to the vehicle without listing it as an extra in the window sticker?

Mine came with 5 and no added line item in the window sticker.

Also - I selected mine from on-line inventory. Personally walked the back lot to find it. It clearly had not yet been prepped by the dealer when I made my deal.
Did you notice locking lug nuts when you saw it in the dealer lot? Some dealers just do it as par for the course, just like giving you a full tank of gas. I'm sure if they added a line on the sales slip, some buyer would say, "I didn't order that, I'm not paying for it."

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,233 Posts
True 'dat.

I ordered the MOPAR 5 for Wrangler in black. 2 months ago. Still not in stock according to my dealer.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not completely accurate...

They are an available option if you order your vehicle, and if they are on the monroney label then they came from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Not completely accurate...

They are an available option if you order your vehicle, and if they are on the monroney label then they came from the factory.
Tell me on what page in the order guide they are listed as a factory option and also tell me what the order code is for them...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mine came with 5, but the Mopar packaging for them was in the glove box with the original nuts included. I suspect it was dealer installed

I promptly changed out the 4 on the Jeep with the originals. I'm a bit OCD and the oddball nut drives me crazy.
Plus the Mopar nuts stick out so far a thieft could probably get a pipe wrench on them and spin them right off.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
I remember when the locking lug nuts came out in the 80's. It was in response to a perceived rash of wheel thefts in urban areas. A lot of movies showed vehicles on bricks, blocks, tires, and whatever after the wheels were stolen.
Movies hyped this crap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBoa-NbNL8
I put locking nuts on my nova and C20 back then. All I can say is that they are a pain in the ass and not really needed.
Do what you feel, but in my opinion, ditching the locking lug nuts is a good thing.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
It's true if they want them they will get them. That being said I still use the spline nuts. I would at least consider locking the spare. Somebody can steal that in 30 seconds.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My Sport doesn't have locking wheel nuts and I'm glad. If it did come with them I would have had the dealer change them out for standard wheel nuts. IMO locking nuts are more trouble than they're worth. Years ago I put some on my 68 Camaro and when I trued to loosen the wheels to work on the brakes I couldn't get the locker off. The tool broke off in the lock and the whole thing stripped out. I really don't remember how I got the darn thing off. Keep in mind that when using alloy wheels the torque on the nuts is pretty high. In the "old days
they used to say 80 ft-lbs. I had the guys at the local tire shop tell my the Jeep's spec is 100 ft-lbs. A poorly fitting wheel lock key won't be able to take that.

That's just my opinion (for what it's worth).
I'd second this. You have to carry the wheel lock key either with you (utterly impractical) or in the vehicle (where it is easily accessible to to-be thieves).

However...

I remember when the locking lug nuts came out in the 80's. It was in response to a perceived rash of wheel thefts in urban areas. A lot of movies showed vehicles on bricks, blocks, tires, and whatever after the wheels were stolen.
You're probably thinking of US. OP, however, is in Poland, and I can attest that in the whole Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union wheel theft was on a scale of a pandemic, so he's rightly concerned.

Bottomline, the best thing you can do is either a garage, or a guarded parking (I have a hunch that this is the way it works in Poland, correct me if I'm wrong). Locking nuts... not that awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts