Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little peeved right now. At 63,000 km (Canada) the Jeep won't start. It gets towed to the dealer with roadside assistance. Dealer says that based on the two codes that are returned, the resolution is to update to the latest version of the wireless control module software (basically it refused to recognize the key.) It appears to be a known issue. I don't have any more details since Chrysler doesn't publish the software release notes publicly. Because it's past 60k, I need to pay for the labour for them to flash it.

I protest - I say that if the software had a known bug then:
A) Chrysler should have done a recall to avoid me getting stranded.
B) The software should have been updated when I last brought it in for regularly scheduled service (before the 60k mark.)
C) Since software doesn't "wear" and since it shipped with the defect, I should not have to pay for the fix - esp since I am less than one oil change beyond the 60k mark.

They say that Chrysler procedure is to never update the software until a problem arises and that because it's past 60k, they always charge to update the software - even if it is to fix defects that shipped with the car.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
344 Posts
No it should always be updated as a regular maintenance item. They do the same for TCM software, etc. You need to open a STAR Case and get them to resolve this ASAP or give it to an attorney who would LOVE the case.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I the word "goodwill" used a lot when things like this get done at no charge. Maybe Google that and see if you can get them to make a goodwill repair.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No it should always be updated as a regular maintenance item. They do the same for TCM software, etc. You need to open a STAR Case and get them to resolve this ASAP or give it to an attorney who would LOVE the case.

What lawyer would LOVE this case?!? Doesn't seem so juicy to me. Also, an attorney is going to cost a heck of a lot more than an hour of labor at some crappy Jeep facility.

OP, I would do one of two things depending on my level of patience: open a case with Jeep corporate (and I would bet it gets resolved, just not sure how quick) OR just pay the stupid labor cost and move on with your life.

Also, you could just pay for it in the interest of getting it fixed, then go to Jeep corporate and try to get some compensation.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
They say that Chrysler procedure is to never update the software until a problem arises ...
That's pretty standard policy, for a lot of "devices" beyond just vehicles.

It goes back to your presumption that the update is always better. It isn't.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Lawyer may be a bigger problem than Stealership

While we sympathize , please bear in mind that a lawyer may be a bigger problem than the stealership . First get the Jeep functional as soon as possible ( asap ) . Second pay the stealership's labour costs , but at the same time obtain itemized receipt specifying the actual problem(s) in writing . Third call Jeep and force them to pay you immediately . Never consider a lawyer unless you wish to be cheated and deceived twice over , ( the first time was by the stealership ) . The lawyer will be a bigger problem because you can pay the labour charge and be done with it ; any lawyer will ensnare you in the law's insanity , and you will pay much , much more to escape the lawyer . If you listen to a lawyer , then he will give you mental and financial problems on top of the Jeep problem . :bop:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts