Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't think that's a steering stabilizer, pretty sure its sway bar links. and some people will say it's not, but, I'm sure it is

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah... sway bar... I knew that... just thick right now... is it OK to drive until I get new ones? any replacement suggestions for someone that is not really off road too much?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wouldn't drive it on the street like that. Its going to have sooo :drinks:much body roll. If you had to react quickly..it wouldn't be pretty... That being said..now is a great time upgrade to some discos!!!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions as far as discos are concerned? I have a 3 inch lift if that matters.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
yeah... sway bar... I knew that... just thick right now... is it OK to drive until I get new ones? any replacement suggestions for someone that is not really off road too much?
Absolutely safe to drive it like that so long as you don't drive it like a sports car. Take it easy and it'll be fine. JKS makes a nice set of replacement links that are made to be quickly disconnectable for offroad use.

If you don't offroad, perhaps someone has some used links for sale in one of the For Sale areas of the various Jeep forums. A new link from the dealer may cost nearly as much as the much better quality and stronger JKS disconnects.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_63s4u7j93o_b Any model made for 1997 to 2006 Wranglers will work equally well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a stock set of links I just removed at 61k miles.

They are yours if you want, just cover shipping from 75010.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a stock set of links I just removed at 61k miles.

They are yours if you want, just cover shipping from 75010.
I really appreciate the offer, part of what makes WF great! I am gonna use this as an excuse and get the JKS 2000 OE Replacement Front Swaybar Quicker Disconnect System :)

Just because I don't offroad alot now doesn't mean it isn't in my future! Looks like a very easy fix... I'll let you all know.

Once again praise to the great guys here!! :worthy::worthy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really appreciate the offer, part of what makes WF great! I am gonna use this as an excuse and get the JKS 2000 OE Replacement Front Swaybar Quicker Disconnect System :) Just because I don't offroad alot now doesn't mean it isn't in my future! Looks like a very easy fix... I'll let you all know. Once again praise to the great guys here!! :worthy::worthy:
Rock on! I actually replaced my stock connects with the JKS you are looking at. Super easy to install and very easy to use.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rock on! I actually replaced my stock connects with the JKS you are looking at. Super easy to install and very easy to use.

Enjoy!
now to get the bolts off... just broke a ratchet (and bruised up my arm in the process) any suggestions as far as penetrating oil or something?

·
Registered
874 Posts
now to get the bolts off... just broke a ratchet (and bruised up my arm in the process) any suggestions as far as penetrating oil or something?
If you're intent on replacing both and have access to a pneumatic or electric cutting wheel, I'd just cut the bolts and remove the old links and replace with new.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys. One question for those that have done this... How in the world do I get these out??

Got the nuts off (after I broke my ratchet!!) I am soaking the bottom ones in pb blaster. Also sprayed pb all over these but they aren't budging. Should they just come straight out??

Thanks in advance for help or tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my drivers side sway bar link. When I replaced them with QDs (don't know if its the right way) but I hit it with a hammer...hard....worked on both.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it done! Pitman tie rod arm puller and 15mm socket on the top nut/bolt and 18mm socket and t55 torx socket on the bottom ones. Soaked in pb breaker for about a day beforehand and used a breaker bar and viola!! Not bad to an accountant, right??

Maybe ill do a quick right up for the community :)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts