Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Jeep TJ. It is a 1997 sport with the rear Dana 44 axle. It has brand new tires and powder coated rims. The only thing that worries me is the engine has 220000 miles on it. Did I get a steal or did I really screw up. I only paid 5000$ for it though. :thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried because it is my first car. I want it to last for a while. I'm happy to hear you think it's a good buy.:punk:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Worse case scenario the engine fails. You put a new long block in for 1500. Then you have 6500 in it, still a pretty good deal. Enjoy it, do your own wrenching on it and you will have a dependable vehicle for many years to come.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've seen a few people on this forum go over 350,000 miles on the original engine. I have a 5-speed so I dont know how well the auto's hold up, but I believe they are pretty good too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take care of it, fix things the way Jeep intended, no bandaids, and it will go another 100K.

·
Registered
732 Posts
mines a 97 with 169000 runs great PTL

P.Scott:dance:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I've seen a lot worse, so unless there is major rust issues I think you're alright. I'd make a point to change ALL fluids so you have a staring point. Welcome.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Well there you go. Even with the miles that's not a bad deal. Hell worn out YJs go for that much & 97 is a good year for TJs

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice man. I bought my 97 for $4,500 with dana 44, 3" BDS lift 33" bfg t/a and MT classic wheels with 160,000k miles and no rust. I had to put some work into it and it was no where near as cleans as yours. Nice buy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'd gladly pay that for an unmutilated jeep the 44 alone makes it a great deal imo

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice jeep!

Def change the fluid in the diffs, engine, tranny, & transfercase.
The guy who owns the jeep shop I go to has a TJ with over 400k
miles on it having done only minor stuff i.e. spark plugs, radiator,
oil pump, timing chain, oil pain gasket, rear main seal. Your tranny will
probably die before your 4.0 does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts