Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed a part of the hard top bulging out a bit. Not sure if this was like it from the very beginning or not (I'm at 3500 miles). Anyone seen this before?

Should I bother having the dealer look at it or am I just being too picky? There is no leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes Go to the Dealer, if u have a warranty it's covered, I got the extended warranty for mine. Check your papers and warranty. Good luck!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had a 10 year old JK w/ a hardtop and it never did anything like that.

Take it in!

Hard tops ain't cheap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Some fiberglass RVs were prone to this type of delamination. In cold climates, water will infiltrate & freeze, which will compound this issue. In short, it will get worse. Definitely time for warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i don't know who the supplier is for these hard tops, they are are made like garbage. the tolerances are shit which lead to alignment problems when installed (i have to intentionally installed it skewed so it installs right on the jeep and the sound bar holes don't interfere with the twist bolts), there is molding splay all over the inside white interior on mine, and the piece that is glued over the main piece on the hard top interior wasn't even lined up with the channels. it's atrocious

it's being brought up with the dealer next time i am in. if Chrysler thinks its cheaper to pump out crap and fix while in warranty, i say fine then they better fix it and not throw "we don't cover cosmetic imperfection defects" crap when that's in clear violation of the "workmanship defect" coverage as clearly stated in the 36K / 3 yrs bumper to bumper warranty. as i said...make crap and agree to fix it...or don't make crap so you don't have to fix it later. it's that simple

to the OP - that should be covered and should be taken to a dealer immediately. once you have taken it to a dealership, demand that they take photos and submit to Chrysler for replacement authorization. then the next step is this:

1) Chat with FCA Customer Care
2) While in chat, request to be transferred to Jeep Wave Premium Customer Care
3) If you haven't enrolled with Jeep Wave yet, enroll with the agent who you connect to
4) Once enrolled, then tell the agent about the issue that you have with your Jeep's hard top. Explain that you have already shown the dealer. Tell the agent what the dealer said would happen and that the dealer has done so far.
5) Request from the agent that a Jeep Wave Premium Customer Care case manager be assigned to your case, request a call back as soon as possible. Take note of your case #.
6) Request a document upload link, upload your own photos of this.

Every 3 days, check with the dealership on the status / progress of their submission. Also check with Jeep Wave Premium Care if they have any updates.

Be prepared to wait weeks and weeks for any action on this. The hard top is not cheap and this defect isn't mechanical in nature and does not take the vehicle out of service. You will be near the bottom of the priority list. They will drag their feet. Every time you check in with the Case Manager, they will ping the dealer for an update which you can do as well. If no action is taken by FCA in 30 days, contact your local state / county consumer advocate office and file a complaint

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i don't know who the supplier is for these hard tops, they are are made like garbage. the tolerances are shit which lead to alignment problems when installed (i have to intentionally installed it skewed so it installs right on the jeep and the sound bar holes don't interfere with the twist bolts), there is molding splay all over the inside white interior on mine, and the piece that is glued over the main piece on the hard top interior wasn't even lined up with the channels. it's atrocious

it's being brought up with the dealer next time i am in. if Chrysler thinks its cheaper to pump out crap and fix while in warranty, i say fine then they better fix it and not throw "we don't cover cosmetic imperfection defects" crap when that's in clear violation of the "workmanship defect" coverage as clearly stated in the 36K / 3 yrs bumper to bumper warranty. as i said...make crap and agree to fix it...or don't make crap so you don't have to fix it later. it's that simple

to the OP - that should be covered and should be taken to a dealer immediately. once you have taken it to a dealership, demand that they take photos and submit to Chrysler for replacement authorization. then the next step is this:

3) If you haven't enrolled with Jeep Wave yet, enroll with the agent who you connect to
4) Once enrolled, then tell the agent about the issue that you have with your Jeep's hard top. Explain that you have already shown the dealer. Tell the agent what the dealer said would happen and that the dealer has done so far.
5) Request from the agent that a Jeep Wave Premium Customer Care case manager be assigned to your case, request a call back as soon as possible. Take note of your case #.

Every 3 days, check with the dealership on the status / progress of their submission. Also check with Jeep Wave Premium Care if they have any updates.

Be prepared to wait weeks and weeks for any action on this. The hard top is not cheap and this defect isn't mechanical in nature and does not take the vehicle out of service. You will be near the bottom of the priority list. They will drag their feet. Every time you check in with the Case Manager, they will ping the dealer for an update which you can do as well. If no action is taken by FCA in 30 days, contact your local state / county consumer advocate office and file a complaint

Thanks for the detailed advice, it definitely helped. Here is where I am with this in case anyone is interested:

First visit - person at the front desk looked at it and said they dont know if they can do anything about it, asked to come back when service manager is present

Second visit - service manager looked at it and said since there is no leaks they wont be able to do anything but he did agree that its not supposed to look like this, I insisted they try so I was told they will contact me when a Jeep rep is on-site to take a look at the top

I opened a case online via the chat and asked to have a case manager assigned since I had little hope that I will actually get a call back from the service manager.

Spoke to case manager about 3 days later and explained the issue and attached pictures. Case manager spoke with the service department and told me to stop by again and this time go to the body shop so they can take pictures and inspect

Body shop took pictures and reported it back to the service department. Body shop manager told me there is a very slim chance this will be covered.

Got a call from now a new service manager, old one no longer works there. He told me that this is actually not as uncommon as they thought and they are putting a bulletin together for this. Asked that I come back and have it inspected by a tech.

Tech inspected it, everyone agreed that its a defect and a replacement was authorized. Now waiting for the new top, could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of month.

Overall I must say even though the process is too complicated and too many steps involved, everyone I dealt with was very courteous and willing to help.

I hope the new top is all good.

Now my front started to leak, wet carpets

:atomic:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the new top installed today. Inspected it first before they installed. Interesting part is that they shipped the shell only with no glass. They then had to move the glass from the old top to the new one.

Overall im happy with the service and that the warranty covered it but without opening a case with Jeep customer care....this might have gone nowhere.

·
Registered
473 Posts

^^Is this advice in a sticky somewhere? If not it seems like it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 17 of 17 Posts