Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a very basic 1995 Wrangler YJ with 74,000 miles for $6.500.00. It has the 4 cylinder 2.5. New Toyo Open Country tires. Body seems to be in great shape, no dents or rust. Never driven off-road and has only been driven during 4 winters, stored the others. I would be the 3rd owner. 2nd owner bought it with 3,500 miles on it. Its never been in an accident and has service records. My main concern is how most everyone thinks the 4 cylinder is underpowered.

Any help would would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Like Jarhead says, depends on your use. I had a 95 four cyl. Nice little jeep that was used for trail rides at our camp.
If I had to use it as a dd, not for me. Four cyl takes a while to get up to speed. If you have to get somewhere fast, get out an run.

Drive it and see what you think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. This is just a toy that the top comes off and I can go off-road. Had a 78 Renegade and 81 Laredo (think the dates are correct) and wanted another Jeep after all these years. I also have a Tundra and a sports car for daily drivers.

Do you think the price is fair?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the same Jeep with 248k. It’s a fun run around Jeep that gets decent mileage. Price is very fair with as low as the mileage is, and it sounds like the body is in good shape. I paid 1000 less for mine with 3 times the mileage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If you're going to stay stock with tires. Enjoy it. I have a 93, 2.5, 5 speed with 31s and that is enough difference to feel it, especially in the mountains. Is the price fair? Maybe. If it's super clean as far as rust. Go on Craigslist, see what others are being listed for in your area. $6500 may be a deal where you are and highway robbery elsewhere.

·
Registered
490 Posts
For that price you should be able to find a 4.0 I'd stay away from the 4cyl I had 1 and it was the biggest pig I ever drove. $6500 is high for a 4 banger

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
4 cyl is great off road and around town but TERRIBLE on the interstate....

That's a lot of money for a 4 cyl... better be REALLY nice... I would want to be closer to 3500

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm in Utah. From what I've seen while searching local classifieds this price seems pretty good.

Like a lot of things it all depends on location location location.
Agree on location but rarity in that particular condition and mileage makes this "lowly" 4 cyl special + unique.

"Saving the squares"

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sound good to me, go for it. Like somebody said, it's not for the interstate.

BTW, gottafofast. Please show us some similar Jeeps for $3500....pfft.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

Plenty around...my last two scores are 97 tj's tho

One a black 2.5 w 134k for $500 and the other a green 4.0 w 75k for $1750

Put tires and wheels on both before these pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
To me, price is relative, You don't buy a Yj for comfort, mileage, speed, dependability, or status. You buy it to have fun, a project to work on, or just remind you of all the stupid stuff you did as a kid, (Me).

To put it in perspective, I bought mine for three years ago for 4k out the door. Dropped about that again into it since, got another 4 going into it over the next year or so as time permits. 12k over 4 years, so about $250 mo. Everything is paid for and it's my primary DD.

Daughter's Chevy truck was $429 mo for 60 mos,
Son's Ford fusion was $375 mo for 60 mos,
Wife's Honda was $420 mo for 60 mos,
Three separate motorcycles totaling $550 mo for 48 mos

All these vehicles I also pay additional maintenance to maintain, none of which I would rather drive except the Honda when I have to drive the freeway at night. None of which are worth or will be worth what I have invested when they get traded or sold.

So why do I drive the Oldest, Cheapest, Least Comfortable Vehicle when I have other choices? BECAUSE IT'S FUN.!!!

Go find what you want that's set up sort of what you want. Buy it. Then fix or replace/upgrade it into whatever you want it to be. THAT's why you buy a YJ. IMHO.:)

·
Registered
490 Posts

Plenty around...my last two scores are 97 tj's tho

One a black 2.5 w 134k for $500 and the other a green 4.0 w 75k for $1750

Put tires and wheels on both before these pics
there's plenty around me

·
Registered
322 Posts
OK, sure, whatever, I totally believe you two, especially after scouring the clist ads in your respective states. The OP has found a cherry that fits perfect in his portfolio and will likely be a good long term investment to boot. He's not contemplating buying some $500 POS. Please, let's make fair comparisons and accurate statements if we are going to offer good advice.

·
Registered
490 Posts
OK, sure, whatever, I totally believe you two, especially after scouring the clist ads in your respective states. The OP has found a cherry that fits perfect in his portfolio and will likely be a good long term investment to boot. He's not contemplating buying some $500 POS. Please, let's make fair comparisons and accurate statements if we are going to offer good advice.
I'm giving advice on experience I had a 4cyl yj it couldn't get out of it's own way id never buy another 1 and for $6500 theres no way I'd spend that much he should be able to find a 4.0 for that much

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good investment really???? Not with a 4cyl

1 - 20 of 44 Posts