Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a potential Jeep owner and want to get some opinions from Jeep owners. I’m looking at getting either a 2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited or a 2016. What’s your opinions or even better experiences with maintenance and major problems. Especially If I’m going up into the 100,000 to 150,000 mileage range.

·
Administrator
16,991 Posts
Glad to have you here!
Welcome to Wrangler Forum :welcome: :wavey:

2015 and 2016 are nearly identical. Either will serve you well :thumb:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 2016 JKU Sahara and a friend of mine has a 2015 JKU AEV JK350 (Rubicon done up by AEV). They're almost identical other than the mods each one has and Sahara vs. Rubicon.

Mine has had no major issues other than overflexing it and tearing the front CV boot at the transfer case. His has eaten two axle seals, second was from improper installation. Neither vehicle has required extensive repairs that weren't attributed to user error. I think his Jeep ate a transfer case gear lever cable, but I don't think that's specific to any year or trim level JK. Could happen to anyone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, I'm a potential Jeep owner and want to get some opinions from Jeep owners. I’m looking at getting either a 2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited or a 2016. What’s your opinions or even better experiences with maintenance and major problems. Especially If I’m going up into the 100,000 to 150,000 mileage range.
I had a 2008 JK and never had any real issues with the axles, transfer case, transmission or motor. I now have a 2018 JKU and no problems with it either. Also with the 2015 you get all the latest JK updates, engine, interior, revised rear seats, clear marker lenses and 8 speaker stereo standard if your into those kinda things. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not really any differences between 15 and 16. Get whichever you like better.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I would be more concerned with condition, mileage and equipment over 2015 vs 2016.

Reactions: WillB

·
Registered
595 Posts
The '15 and '16 are identical. My wife had a '15 Rubicon and I have a '16 Willy's. She only got rid of her's because she had 100k on it and she gets crazy with high mileage on her cars. You'll be happy with either one, IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would be more concerned with condition, mileage and equipment over 2015 vs 2016.
I was comparing 2015 vs 2016 because I was wondering if there were any major defects between the years. But I have learned that they are practically the same.

When you say I should look at condition, mileage, and equipment; what should I be looking for considering those

·
Registered
929 Posts
wear and tear bro... the obvious- seat and pedal wear, tire wear, belts, hoses, fluids and oil... you may be better with a PPI at your local mechanic if you are uncertain... could save ya down the road.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There is no difference between the two. Wranglers keeps 5 years of every model before a major change so 2013 through 2018 are almost the same.

For the defects, there are different defects for every year model. Just like any vehicle in the entire world and so, you may want to research for recalls per year model instead then start your opinion from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wear and tear bro... the obvious- seat and pedal wear, tire wear, belts, hoses, fluids and oil... you may be better with a PPI at your local mechanic if you are uncertain... could save ya down the road.
Thank you both for your help. I’m sorry for my dumb question I tend to have a hard time explaining myself and understanding others when I don’t take time to think. But I do get the point and the PPI is a good suggestion thank you 🙏

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no difference between the two. Wranglers keeps 5 years of every model before a major change so 2013 through 2018 are almost the same.

For the defects, that is different for every year model. Just like any vehicle in the entire world.
That’s exactly what I’m trying to look for. I want to know the defects between the years. If you or anyone have any knowledge of what those defects are that would be great 😁

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
1) condition - how does the Jeep look? Has it been wrecked? Is the underside all scratched up or caked with dirt? Does the inside look good? How does the engine look/sound? Drive OK?

2) mileage - Does one have 60k and the other have 200k? Obvious these are extremes to make a point.

3) equipment - How are the Jeeps optioned? Any aftermarket parts like lifts and bumpers?
Some nice options to look for are 3:73 gears(assuming Sport or Sahara), Alpine speakers with Sub.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I am not aware of any differences between 15 and 16 other than color changes.
There may be a special edition in one year vs the other, but nothing mechanical.

·
Retired Moderator
100,597 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Test drive. Does it steer like a bumper car at the carnival or is it nice and tight. Auto or manual? Test all gears and reverse. Test both 4 high and 4 low (download and check the manual for how to shift into each if you've never done it, it's not hard). Brakes, does it stop clean or make funny noises or pull, etc. Check ALL of the lights, radio, AC, etc. Things not working could also point to electrical issues. And crawl all over, under and inside. You don't say where you are located but flood cars are an issue all over. Look up what to check for. Jeeps can get wet but sitting in flood water for a week eff's things up.

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts