Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored these OEM half doors today. I had thought that I’d just leave them black but something about them just doesn’t quite look right to me. Maybe it’s their glossiness? Should I...
A. Leave them alone (maybe I’m just looking too closely and they are just gonna get scratched up next time I wheel in the woods anyhow)?
B. Have them painted to match the Jeep at a shop (seems pricy given that I wheel my rig and have already scratched my full doors up)?
C. Hit them with the black satin spray cans that my fender flairs & sliders are painted with (kinda leaning this way)?
D. Pick up a couple of cans of mopar touch up red and kinda match the Jeep (seems likely to go south)?
E. Bed liner (terrible trouble to get off if I ever change my mind)?

Open to other ideas I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
get them wrapped with a scene of a naked person (from the lower half down) driving...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm getting my recently acquired orange doors painted rhino to match mine right now. $400 but I had to do the tear down to the shell. Extra $200 for the body shop to remove panels, locks, mirrors, latches etc.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
First let me say that your jeep is friggin awesome. Love it. Whatever your choice ends up being do not rattle can them doors in an effort to match. Obviously I'm a wrap guy but I don't try to convince others to wrap because its pricey. I don't mind changing a wrap every season when my tastes change because I always have the extra coin to do so. Most would use that $ for mods. I would drop them off to the body shop and have them spray them and then let them be scratched by brush like the rest of the jeep panels.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you believe they are going to be damaged by wheeling anyway, and since it really won't affect the value of the doors, I would paint them yourself. Get a HVLP setup from Harbor Freight and buy the materials at the local auto supply that handles body shop materials. It's really not that hard to get a decent looking paint job doing it yourself. It's a pretty small area overall. Body Shops are probably going to charge $1200 to do the pair, I think you can do it yourself for less than $400 and some elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
If you believe they are going to be damaged by wheeling anyway, and since it really won't affect the value of the doors, I would paint them yourself. Get a HVLP setup from Harbor Freight and buy the materials at the local auto supply that handles body shop materials. It's really not that hard to get a decent looking paint job doing it yourself. It's a pretty small area overall. Body Shops are probably going to charge $1200 to do the pair, I think you can do it yourself for less than $400 and some elbow grease.
Ok, I had no idea the body shop would be that high. I now change my recommendation to a full body wrap for $1600 like I do because its just a sticker and you can do it again and again and again with different designs and colors.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ok, I had no idea the body shop would be that high. I now change my recommendation to a full body wrap for $1600 like I do because its just a sticker and you can do it again and again and again with different designs and colors.
Body shop is not that high, especially if you strip the panels, locks etc. I got 2 quotes with me doing the tear down. $430 from one shop and $400 from the other. I had to tear them down anyway to take the locks out to get them rekeyed. That ended up being $20.

·
Registered
287 Posts
$1200?

More like $400 to paint 2 half door shells.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First let me say that your jeep is friggin awesome. Love it. Whatever your choice ends up being do not rattle can them doors in an effort to match. Obviously I'm a wrap guy but I don't try to convince others to wrap because its pricey. I don't mind changing a wrap every season when my tastes change because I always have the extra coin to do so. Most would use that $ for mods. I would drop them off to the body shop and have them spray them and then let them be scratched by brush like the rest of the jeep panels.

Thanks!
Didn’t even think of the wrap option. I’ll have to investigate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
Body shop is not that high, especially if you strip the panels, locks etc. I got 2 quotes with me doing the tear down. $430 from one shop and $400 from the other. I had to tear them down anyway to take the locks out to get them rekeyed. That ended up being $20.
Hard to beat that price, no one around here is that affordable, especially on a color change.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hard to beat that price, no one around here is that affordable, especially on a color change.
Mine were orange with no scratches, dents or dings. Getting them repainted rhino. I dropped them off last Thursday. Shop said they'd start on them Monday and I could get them Wednesday or Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Plasti dip. Experiment with colors, rip it off and try another color. $5 a can. It’ll help you decide.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine were orange with no scratches, dents or dings. Getting them repainted rhino. I dropped them off last Thursday. Shop said they'd start on them Monday and I could get them Wednesday or Thursday.
Ahh, I was thinking JKU/4 doors. $200 a door is still hard to beat.

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I think the black looks good... Paint the rest of the Jeep to match.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts