Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I have a 2016 JKU Sport with the stock stereo system (no alpine, no sub). I plan to add Polk DB6502 component speakers in the front, a two-channel amplifier to power them, a simple single-DIN head unit, and an Alpine PWE-S8 sub under the front passenger seat.

I know this is a subjective question, but should I also plan to replace the soundbar speakers? My main reason for not doing so would be cost. I am not an audiophile, but I genuinely love listening to music and I want the system to sound as good as possible, within reason. I know very little about car audio systems, but I understand that rear speakers are usually used for fill so I don't know if it is worth replacing them or not.

If I keep the stock soundbar speakers, will they just pollute the overall sound with lower-quality output? If I decide to upgrade the soundbar speakers with Polk DB652 coaxials, will they still be an improvement if I don't power them? The reason I ask is that 4-channel amps seem to be significantly more expensive than 2-channel amps.

So... Obviously powered soundbar speakers will give me the best sound, but can anyone provide some insight as to if it will be noticeably better than leaving the stock soundbar speakers as is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I have a '17 JKU with Alpine system, although not premium. Speakers still have paper cones and leave much to be desired.

Just ordered a coaxial pair of JBLs for the sound bar - should arrive this week and I will update on the difference vs stock.

Further background: I'm not interested in doing a full replacement with head unit and amps.
Only improvements I've made to the sound thus far is I have sound-skinned and polyfilled the sound bar (not difficult, costs $30 and took 1 hour). Purchased a kicker hideaway sub for under the driver seat, but the install is a little above my pay grade (for now). So, I'm holding off on that for the time being.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Good day,

I have a 2016 JKU Sport with the stock stereo system (no alpine, no sub). I plan to add Polk DB6502 component speakers in the front, a two-channel amplifier to power them, a simple single-DIN head unit, and an Alpine PWE-S8 sub under the front passenger seat.

I know this is a subjective question, but should I also plan to replace the soundbar speakers? My main reason for not doing so would be cost. I am not an audiophile, but I genuinely love listening to music and I want the system to sound as good as possible, within reason. I know very little about car audio systems, but I understand that rear speakers are usually used for fill so I don't know if it is worth replacing them or not.

If I keep the stock soundbar speakers, will they just pollute the overall sound with lower-quality output? If I decide to upgrade the soundbar speakers with Polk DB652 coaxials, will they still be an improvement if I don't power them? The reason I ask is that 4-channel amps seem to be significantly more expensive than 2-channel amps.

So... Obviously powered soundbar speakers will give me the best sound, but can anyone provide some insight as to if it will be noticeably better than leaving the stock soundbar speakers as is?
I don't think there's anything wrong with your strategy here. Your front speakers should dominate the back for a decent front stage anyway. So keeping the back stock isn't a big deal since they will be at significantly less volume. Try it for a while and if you don't like it you could do a basic coaxial to improve the highs a little.

I am in the process of building a system that is very similar. I did upgrade my rear speakers to the cheap kicker upgrade, but they will be run off of deck power and crossed over to not play any bass.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good day,

In your case, any additional money and labor would be best spent on the front, not the soundbar, imho.

I would run the soundbar speakers 5-10 dBs lower than the front, and your stock speakers powered by the headunit, will definitely be able to handle that without distortion.

That being said, I would get a 4 channel amp over a 2 channel, for possible future upgrades... For now, you could even bridge the 4 channel to 2 channels and feed the front that extra powa. ;)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your front speakers should dominate the back for a decent front stage anyway. So keeping the back stock isn't a big deal since they will be at significantly less volume.
In your case, any additional money and labor would be best spent on the front, not the soundbar, imho.

I would run the soundbar speakers 5-10 dBs lower than the front, and your stock speakers powered by the headunit, will definitely be able to handle that without distortion.
Throw on some bass blockers on the POS lead of the soundbar speakers and no more breakup.

For everyday music I would go with 150hz, but if into the heavy thumping, I would go with 300hz. Plus throw in a lil fiber fill.
Thank you all for the input! Based on your responses and some additional research on my end, I am more confident in leaving the soundbar stock and still achieving good sound quality. I will definitely be replacing the factory head unit with a Kenwood KDC-X701 or something similar, and adding polyfil to the soundbar, so that should improve the sound from the soundbar speakers even if I leave them stock, right?

After looking at the numbers in more detail, I think I could spend approximately $150 more to get a 4-channel amp and aftermarket soundbar speakers. I am now trying to decide if I should spend this extra money to get better front stage component speakers, to upgrade the soundbar, or just save the money. To be honest, the money is going into the Jeep in one way or another anyway...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts