Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered an Unlimited Willys Wheeler W. The dealership will put on bumpers for me and do a few other things before I pick it up. Seems there really isn't any demand for the stock bumpers as parts. Should I leave them with the dealer or is there some reason to put them in my garage? Gracias.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you have a place to store them, I'd take them home. What if you decide to trade Jeeps someday but want to keep the aftermarket bumpers that are on your current Jeep. You could swap out for the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Congrats on the new Jeep.

As far as stock JK bumpers go you're right, they're pretty much worthless.

You might get lucky and get $10 for them.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I got $25 for my rear, and $50 for my front via local sale. I included the fog lights, fog light housings, and tow hooks in the front.

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Sold mine off my 2011 for $25 each so they aren't worthless! Don't let the dealer keep them.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Find out how much it would be to replace them (parts only) if you were in an accident. Then, cut that number in half and offer them to all the body and paint shops in your area. Zero milage bumpers, and whatever goes with them, would likely bring some money with those businesses.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I will take the front bumper off your hands- my 2015 JK just hit a pole with only 800 miles on it.. very sad..
What can I give you for the front one ?

Pastor Scott

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take them home and give them away or sell them yourself. My friend messed up his bumper and bought a takeoff bumper from dealer. They charged him $200 bucks.

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
I paid close to $200 for a OEM front bumper off Craigslist about a year ago. It included the plastic and metal halves plus fog lights. The price was still a lot cheaper than buying it new from the dealer and the bumper was in like-new condition.

I wish some of you who sold yours at such low prices lived closer to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Take them home and put them on craigslist!!!!!!
+1 No way in hell would I leave them with the dealer. They'll sell them, and get a hell of a lot more than $20 each. Just look at what some guys in this thread paid the dealer for them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I paid close to $200 for a OEM front bumper off Craigslist about a year ago. It included the plastic and metal halves plus fog lights. The price was still a lot cheaper than buying it new from the dealer and the bumper was in like-new condition. I wish some of you who sold yours at such low prices lived closer to me.
Seriously..I paid $100 for a new front just because it was half of all the other ones on Craigslist

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
I find it funny how some of us get all worked up about paying the dealer $200 for a plastic bumper, but have no issue paying Public Storage $100 month after month to store cr+p we never use.

I have a steel bumper on order and plan to toss the stock one. I will be re-using the fogs and tow hooks and I just hate clutter. These are large pieces taking up space for the questionable opportunity that I may be able to get $25 some time in the distant future.

If you won't be reusing the fogs and tow hooks, take those and toss the bumper; that's where most of the value sits. If you need to store things like ferret and you have free space, keep the bumper; otherwise this big piece of molded plastic represents one worthless piece of "investment".

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I installed my own front bumper and winch, but I still threw the stock bumper in my basement. I'm lucky enough to have the extra space for this type of "clutter". I plan on adding my stock suspension part to that corner of the basement when I install my lift. I've come to terms that I have a condition, since I'm on my third JKU in four years. So I'm keeping all my parts so I can return it to stock when I'm ready to trade in next time. It's a just in case thing as I cashed out all my equity in my last trade in so I'm on the bubble with my new one. Plus this Hydro is really growing on me, pun intended!

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
I've come to terms that I have a condition, since I'm on my third JKU in four years. So I'm keeping all my parts so I can return it to stock when I'm ready to trade in next time. It's a just in case thing as I cashed out all my equity in my last trade in so I'm on the bubble with my new one.
:lmao: Guilty as charged! I am on my 6th JK in less than 7 years! :lmao:

Like you, I also like to do mods that are reversible back to factory spec. It's much easier to trade/resell a stock JK than a modded one.

What I've done in past is swap the plastic bumpers from the new JK onto the old one, and the steel bumpers onto the new one. This time, however, my steel bumpers are already on my 2013 JKR; so now I need new bumpers for my 2014 JKUS.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Remember, too, that the Willys bumpers are a shiny black, while stock JK's bumpers are silver. May be that someone would want a little different look than stock. I sold mine on
CL for $35.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts