Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I crazy? We bought our Unlimited 75th Anniversary edition with a manual transmission. Our eldest son was 14 and this was a third car - i.e. a Toy. Now he is 17 and about to go to college in the fall taking the third car with him, leaving me with the Jeep as my daily driver. I live in metro Atlanta, and commute about 50 miles each day (25 one way) a lot of shifting.

So I'm thinking of trading my Jeep in on 2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew XLT - looking at possibly a 2WD with rear locking Diff.

Would love to hear advice.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,900 Posts
Park the Jeep and keep as toy...then pick up a beater for commuting....

Reactions: WillB

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
absolutely but be ready to be really disappointed in what you get offered for a trade in. I have been shopping trucks and lots of nice stuff out there. I personally could not do a 2wd but I live in Montana which is entirely different than Georgia. Might want to include F150 with 2.7 eco boost in your search as they get about the same mpg and a lot more truck.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,056 Posts
I have a 2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 crew cab with all the bells and whistles. I usually drive my 2016 JKU unless I absolutely need to haul something with the truck. So my guess you'll greatly miss your JKU in short order if you are driving a Ford Ranger. Just my take on it....

·
Registered
622 Posts
So I guess my first question would be "What's wrong with using the Jeep?". If you simply don't want to drive it because it's uncomfortable for your short commute, then, ok, I guess. It's your choice. I wouldn't do this for gas savings. Gas is cheap.

As to the choice of a huge pickup, why do you need a huge pickup. It's clear with 2WD that you're not going to go offroad. If you need to haul stuff, why not a smaller car with a trailer? I've got a 2 sled snowmobile trailer that I use for hauling. Never had the need for a pickup. Heck, you could drive a Hyundai Veloster and hook up a trailer when you need it.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
If you want to make a change in your life, think, then do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
While you should trade in your Jeep if it isn't what you want, I can't imagine wanting a Ford Ranger over said Jeep. That is a pretty big step down. But to each their own.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Trade it in or sell it for an Automatic Wrangler if you are worried about the shift, else I agree with the other comment, get a beater car for the commute. I do 40 miles each way in my JKU, thankfully I only go into the office 1-2 days a week now. Looking at a new job that may have me 65 miles each way, 1-2 days a week...my solution is most likely going to be to get a beater as I don't want to put that mileage on the JKU...only 30 miles more than current but it is adding up and I need an excuse.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So I'm thinking of trading my Jeep in on 2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew XLT - looking at possibly a 2WD with rear locking Diff.
Many, many years ago when I had a mental lapse in judgement I did the same thing you're thinking about. Traded in my MT YJ for the 2WD Ranger auto, 4L, ext cab, LSD. All the stars aligned to punish my foolish deed as that winter was the "Storm of the Century". Trapped in my home until the snow plows came in the evening. One bad move that I will never forget and never do again.
But it's a free country....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
One thing about a 2wd PU, it will be a novelty item (rare).

·
Registered
536 Posts
I commute 18 miles one way to midtown Atlanta in my Jeep and love it. It is an auto but I was using a manual Honda Accord. Really preferred the stick so I could be in the gear I wanted to be.

I think the question is, are you a Jeep guy? If so, you will regret it. If not, then you might not miss it. I'm a Jeep guy for life now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Am I crazy? We bought our Unlimited 75th Anniversary edition with a manual transmission. Our eldest son was 14 and this was a third car - i.e. a Toy. Now he is 17 and about to go to college in the fall taking the third car with him, leaving me with the Jeep as my daily driver. I live in metro Atlanta, and commute about 50 miles each day (25 one way) a lot of shifting.

Would love to hear advice.
I wouldn't take a Ford Ranger if it was free. Why not an F-150? It's better in every way.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I commute ~70 miles daily in a manual JKU. It adds a bit of fun to the daily grind. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: CTarna

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I concur with Jeep63.. When people ask me what they should buy.. my reply.. It's your $$ Get what you want..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why not a Ram 1500 Hemi. Fun truck and you still get decent mileage. I got just under 19 city/highway combined. Rebates are not as good as they used to be but Ram is still giving them away trying to cement their position as the number two truck in the market.

I went the opposite way. Traded in my 2018 ram crewcab with the hemi. It was fun to drive, roomier and way more practical but it wasn't a jeep.

If you are not 100% sure about trading in the jeep, you will probably regret it.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Unless you're a farmer or a contractor of some kind or even need to haul a large trailer.... Trucks suck.... and a rear wheel drive with a locker??

It snowed maybe 2 inches on the morning I had to drive one of those and I couldn't even get out of the dammed parking lot with it (ford f150 rwd with locker). What a friggin joke that was!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts