Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sitting on a ~2.5” lift with 35s. Recently installed Clayton adjustable control arms, upper and lower front and rear. Still only have 1” clearance and I’m just not sure if this is acceptable or normal.

Anyone else running with this little clearance? Would you recommend I trim the rails? I may go with 37s in a year or two when these tires need replaced.

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
421 Posts
Most say trim. I did. Took an hour. Was going to do on jeep....then looked at it and thought.....I better take off.

·
Registered
'13 JKU Rubi 10A and '01 TJ Sport
66 Posts
Flex out the suspension and test the clearance. If it rubs, trim it. If it clears, you can let it be. I had to trim my rails on my JKU 10A with 275/80R17 MTRs (skinny 35s).

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
What is the tool of choice for cutting?
I am thinking I will remove when the time comes and use a band saw.

·
Registered
'13 JKU Rubi 10A and '01 TJ Sport
66 Posts
What is the tool of choice for cutting?
I am thinking I will remove when the time comes and use a band saw.
I removed the sliders and trimmed with a reciprocating saw. If I had to do it again, I would probably use an angle grinder and cut off disc, because the curves in the slider made it hard for the reciprocating saw to cut straight.

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts
A lot depends on your lift and tire height goals as well as the type of off-roading you plan on doing.
At 35s you're good.
If you plan on 37s and the type of off-roading that goes with that tire size, then IMO replace the factory rails which aren't enough protection. Trim the pinch seams when you add a larger tire.

Personally on 35s I would go ahead and replace the factory rail with something a little more robust.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,157 Posts
Id also start by checking your rear flex. It looks like you're axle is sitting a bit further forward than Id like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts