Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B&M Racing and Performance recently released the Precision SportShifter for 2007-2017 Jeep Wranglers equipped with the NSG370 6-speed manual transmission. We also introduced Magnum Grip Shift Handle Sets (shifter and transfer case) for 2012-2017 JK's with an automatic transmission.

Here's what we're curious about. Do you think that we should offer our transfer case shift handle individually so that owners of manual transmission JK's can pick one up to pair with their B&M Precision SportShifter? If you have an auto JK, would you run just the replacement B&M shift handle without the matching transfer case handle? Should both of these handles be offered separately? Are you not interested in any of the options above? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I was intrigued by the short shifter until I saw the reviews of the first few folks on the forum who installed it. Looks and sounds like a pain to install, a pain to shift, and at least one person still has it popping out of first gear.

I hate the sloppy shifter in the Wrangler, but I can shift gears without my right arm getting tired. I'm not writing off the B&M, but I'm definitely holding off until I see far more good reviews than bad ones.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Here's what we're curious about. Do you think that we should offer our transfer case shift handle individually so that owners of manual transmission JK's can pick one up to pair with their B&M Precision SportShifter? If you have an auto JK, would you run just the replacement B&M shift handle without the matching transfer case handle? Should both of these handles be offered separately? Are you not interested in any of the options above? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, I believe that you should offer the transfer case shift handle individually.

Although I think they look pretty cool, neither is really my cup of tea, so I wouldn't really be interested in running either handle. I tend to go more for the old school round shift knob look. I do believe that there is a large market out there for those who would go for one or both of the available shift handles.

Exco

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Auto JK owner here. For whatever its worth, I would only buy the package (t-case shifter + trans shifter). I would want them to match for sure. Actually havent seen these before...and now i want them, they look slick.
This.

Offer the package.

Reactions: B&M Racing

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,878 Posts
What I think a lot of people would like to see is a how to video on the proper or least "pain in the ass" way to remove the OEM grips to install yours.

There was a thread a few weeks back where a number of guys had huge issues removing the OEM and there was never a consensus of how to.

I'm a buyer of both grips for my 2017 Auto.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a 6-speed and decreasing the throw 35% sounds intriguing; sure would love to see one live. Do you have any videos of it in use?
At the end of our installation video you can see a bit of this shifter in use. Not much, but it's something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTBsLW2LVY&t=8s

Here's a clip of our YJ/TJ AX_15 shifter installed on a '97 Sport (B&M Part #45059). This shifter provides a 30% throw reduction, so it's a bit less than the JK shifter, but should give you a pretty good idea of the difference in shift throw and increased precision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCdLmEqGmCw

I was intrigued by the short shifter until I saw the reviews of the first few folks on the forum who installed it. Looks and sounds like a pain to install, a pain to shift, and at least one person still has it popping out of first gear.

I hate the sloppy shifter in the Wrangler, but I can shift gears without my right arm getting tired. I'm not writing off the B&M, but I'm definitely holding off until I see far more good reviews than bad ones.

We can understand your skepticism and most Jeep owners that have not previously used one, may generally look at a short throw shifter as a sports car or hot rod mod. However, in any vehicle with a manual transmission, the driver uses the steering wheel, pedals and shifter at all times to control the vehicle. There aren't many other relatively low cost modifications that can as greatly impact driver experience like an upgraded shifter.

That said, we have not received any calls from or been contacted by an owner of the new B&M Precision SportShifter for 07-17 JK's claiming that their Jeep still pops out of gear. Can you message us a link to the place that you saw this posted?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Im not interested in buying either one, but if I were I would want choices. Should be offered individually and as a package.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I think a lot of people would like to see is a how to video on the proper or least "pain in the ass" way to remove the OEM grips to install yours.

There was a thread a few weeks back where a number of guys had huge issues removing the OEM and there was never a consensus of how to.

I'm a buyer of both grips for my 2017 Auto.
They can be a bit of a pain. Here's a link to the install instructions for our Magnum Grip Shift Handle Set where we detail the method that we use for removal of the factory knobs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like them as a package. How much taller are they compared to the OEM shifter knobs?

·
Registered
210 Posts

I have been driving mine for nearly 3 weeks now. It has gotten quite a bit easier to shift. It is still more difficult than the stock one, but now, it is pretty smooth, and I feel it is only going to get better.

I would recommend it for anyone who thinks the stock one is too vague.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
That said, we have not received any calls from or been contacted by an owner of the new B&M Precision SportShifter for 07-17 JK's claiming that their Jeep still pops out of gear. Can you message us a link to the place that you saw this posted?
Of course, now I can't find the thread.

Like I said, I love the idea, and once more and more people have used it and there are more reviews of it, I'll probably end up getting one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts