Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can turn it about as much as say the tie rod, clock wise and counter clock wise and it makes a clicking noise when I do. Is this normal at all, I never tried turning it in the past. My rear drive shaft has no play at all in it which makes me think something is wrong with my front. Help me wranglerforum, you're my only hope.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
should be normal. are the flanges moving as well or is it just the shaft moving?

my guess is that you are doing this in 2wd and since the front shaft isnt connected to the transfer case in 2wd it will have more movement than the rear. that is simply the backlash in your ring and pinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Twisting play? My 09 4 door has it up front and none in the rear....always has as far as I know. Side to side would be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
From what I'm reading, the rear DS should not rotate at all while parked? I have an '08JKUR 6sp MT. My DS will twist/rotate about 1/4" or so back and forth. I was under my jeep for a different issue but read this thread and rotated the rear DS a little and now I'm unsure if that is normal or not.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
From what I'm reading, the rear DS should not rotate at all while parked? I have an '08JKUR 6sp MT. My DS will twist/rotate about 1/4" or so back and forth. I was under my jeep for a different issue but read this thread and rotated the rear DS a little and now I'm unsure if that is normal or not.
Hmm, mines solid. That's your drive axle. If something was wrong. You almost certainly would have issues.!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts