Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on a Rock Krawler X Factor Pro Mid Arm 3.5” lift with Duratrac LT315/70R17 (35”x12.5” on 17” rims) tires. Duratrac specs say it can take 8.5” to 10” rim width and Jeremy at Rock Krawler says 4.5” backspacing ideal for this lift.

I don’t care much for flashy wheels, in fact I really like the stock wheels on my 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. So far the AEV 17 x 8.5 ” Pintlers are on the list, but I would prefer a 9” width rim as I believe it opens up more possibilities down the road for different tire types.

So, figuring 315/70R17 and 3.5” lift are probably one of the more popular mod combo’s, what do you guys have on your rigs and/or build sheets for wheels?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
The AEV 17 x 8.5 Pintlers are great wheels, but you do pay a little extra for them.

Some facts on the AEV 17 x 8.5 Pintlers:

• They have 4.7" backspacing and +10mm offset, but are designed handle up to 35" tires w/o rubbing. They are supposed to provide the same tracking at the stock Jeep Moab wheels for a better ride.
  • They are "hub-centric" wheels made specifically for the Jeep as opposed to many after market wheels which are "lug-centric".
  • Early Pintlers had an issue with cracks developing where the spoke meets the wheel, but I've read this has been resolved with Pintlers manufactured after 2008.
  • They come with a lifetime structural warranty for the original owner.
These wheels are on my short list of wheels I'm considering for my Wrangler.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Go for 15 inch rims, cheaper tire/ rim as well as more sidewall flex for offroading. Just my advice
Will 15" rims even clear the brakes??? While it will give you a lot of sidewall flex, it can give you too much flex on a 35", and certainly on a 37", tire. You also loose some on-road handling with 15" rims, too, because of all that sidewall.

To each their own, though. I really like the 17s ... I've run them on my last 3 rigs over the past few years (2 DDs - including my current JK - and one dedicated trail rig). There are alot R17 tire options out there now given the trend towards bigger rims.

T

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pics in my profile of Mickey's Classic II's in 17x9, with the same Duratracs on. They are 4.5" backspace.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for Post and pictures everyone! I was looking around online last night and decided I’ll go with AEV Pintlers. They are a close match to stock wheels on Rubicon which I know I like. Maybe I’m drinking the cool aid, butI like what AEV has to say about their design (American Expedition Vehicles) , which compliments GreenRubi’s info. Probably 6 weeks away from getting everything installed, ordering stuff this week. Will post pictures when done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Perkalator79 - what size tires are you running and what lift if any?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went from factory 18" wheels to 17"X9 black Rocks with 33" Goodyear duratracs.

3" zone off road lift

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts