Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right place or if it should be in the pictures forum... I have owned a 2011 black ops Rubicon for over a year now and am about to start my build on it. I haven't seen many of these around my area or on this forum. That makes me wonder of they are rare enough to end up being collectors or whatnot. That being said, I started this thread to get input from other black ops drivers about the route they took on their build (did you stay with a factory look, or go all out) and why you chose that route. Also, I wanna see some pics!
Plus... There really needs to be a black ops thread on here! Every other keep has one ;-)

·
Administrator
17,022 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Around here I've seen a few mw3s but mines the only black ops I've seen around. It seems a little more rare from my perspective. The last year of the 3.8 and its been dependable so far. My father in law has an Oscar mike with the 3.6 and we really can't tell any difference in power with the 4:10 gearing of mine. With all of the oil cooler problems and head problems of the 3.6 I think I'll stick with my 3.8 for now. With it being a later 3.8 I hope all of the bugs are worked out!
It seems to me that the black ops was the first of jeep going way overboard on sticker packages and they may not have gone quite as overboard with it...
Either way, I have been debating for about a year now as to how far from factory look I want to take it.
My last jeep was a Yj with spring over lift. I did it all myself and it was a great little jeep. Anything I do to this jeep will be done by me as well, I just haven't decided how far to go...

·
Administrator
17,022 Posts
That's cool, not slamming the 3.8.
and I think the Black Ops are a great equipment option to start a build.

IMO
Build the Jeep the way you want, if you keep it forever it really doesn't matter if someone knows it's a black ops.

As an example: at a Jeep event a year or so ago and a NEW 10th anny pulls up same time as a new Metalcloak (lift & fenders) equipped Rubi on 37 pitbulls. Not a person there cared or paid attention to the 10th anny. They paid attention to the guy who built a solid rig.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, I wasn't sold on it for being a black ops. I was sold on it because it was everything else I was looking for ( Rubicon with nav etc...) at the best deal for a 300 mile radius. I would've never paid more for a sticker package ;-) . it was after I had bought it and noticed that I had the only one around, that I started worrying about devaluing it.
I really would like a Rubi in the tank color but I can't afford it at the moment.

Back to the matter at hand... I'm thinking aev 3.5" lift and mickey Thompson Baja mtz 35" tires. That will set me back around $4500 and it should be way easier than trying to peice together everything like I had to for the spring over axle lift o did on my Yj.

I'd like to see some pictures of some black ops jeeps with that aev lift and other mild to extreme mods!!

On a side note: I remember when I had my Yj, giving my buddy with a jk a hard time for not having a real jeep. I was only kidding, but I love my jk and he rides me about that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sure... Teraflex 4" lift Custom Tom Woods front drive shaft Rock Slide Engineering bumpers front and rear RSE Rigid Rack with 48" Hi-Lift Jack, Shovel and 2 Gallon RotPax 35" Goodyear Wranglers on 17" Fuel Hostage wheels Bilstein 5160's
Bulldog 9000lb winch
Ace Rock Sliders
50" LED Light Bar (NightBreak)
2x 20" light bars one on the hood and one on the bull bar
Rock lights
Red Grabars front and rear
Red SpiderWebShade
SafariStraps
Installing my Trek Armor black with red inserts front and rear today.
I will try to get some good pics and start a build thread later today

·
Registered
18 Posts
sure... Teraflex 4" lift custom tom woods front drive shaft rock slide engineering bumpers front and rear rse rigid rack with 48" hi-lift jack, shovel and 2 gallon rotpax 35" goodyear wranglers on 17" fuel hostage wheels bilstein 5160's
bulldog 9000lb winch
ace rock sliders
50" led light bar (nightbreak)
2x 20" light bars one on the hood and one on the bull bar
rock lights
red grabars front and rear
red spiderwebshade
safaristraps
installing my trek armor black with red inserts front and rear today.
I will try to get some good pics and start a build thread later today

ForumRunner_20150320_070408.jpg

ForumRunner_20150320_070159.png

1 - 14 of 14 Posts