Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for pictures of back-up cameras mounted on JK’s or JKU’s. I’m getting ready to install one and need ideas for mounting near center to help with backing up to a trailer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Haven't installed yet, but I'm leaning towards this one... Anyone with history with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Alpine rear view camera/third brake light.
Attaches via one extra lug nut. So easy to remove if you need to remove the spare.
The two gloss black panels used to be silver but I hated that so I painted them black.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Attaches via one extra lug nut. So easy to remove if you need to remove the spare.

The two gloss black panels used to be silver but I hated that so I painted them black.

So that is another one I am considering- $350 on Amazon. How is the camera, especially at night? Did you have to flash at dealer?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
So that is another one I am considering- $350 on Amazon. How is the camera, especially at night? Did you have to flash at dealer?

Works great.
I have the NEX 8100 head unit and had it all installed by the audio shop.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Here's the third one I'm looking at, advantages of this one is that you can turn on camera anytime, you don't need dealer flash and it also makes the nav able to take directions while driving

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already purchased an Alpine HCE-C125 camera and Alpine iLX-107 HU. Haven’t started to install them yet. Looking for ideas to mount that camera, even if I have to fabricate something.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Just ordered this from best buy and they are installing for $100- really like the look of this

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too installed the Alpine Camera. I did have to take it to the dealer for a re-flash. Works fantastic! I really like how you painted the silver parts black. I have silver rims so I kept them silver. If I ever change to black rims, that will be the first thing I do. Easy install. Took my time, took about two hours to install. Very easy directions.
Nick

·
Registered
129 Posts
So I'm going with the Alpine, I'm wondering if it is Overkill to have the brake light over the tire also? Most of y'all have oversized tires and don't have that so it makes even more sense to go with this one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey salscott, I took a sawzall and a grinder to my third brake light. Looks better in my opinion. Plus, your vision is improved with the third brake light removed.

It looks great- nice looking chief. I assumed that the third brake light would come off or you could disassemble it, but the fact that you had to do this tells me it doesn't.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey salscott, I took a sawzall and a grinder to my third brake light. Looks better in my opinion. Plus, your vision is improved with the third brake light removed.

One other question about the Alpine unit, how does it work when you need time access the spare tire? Does the brake light just disconnect and come off?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here’s my temporary mount, at least until I decide to get different wheels or not. I’m using stock Rubicon Hardrock wheels with 35x12.5 tires and spacers, spare on a Teraflex HD Hinge and adjustable spare mount, also with a wheel spacer. It’s important to know that for this camera mount because the wheel spacer rotates the wheel on the mount. That could make many of the camera mounts available not work on mine or rotated so the camera isn’t horizontally level. I wanted something easy to get the camera out of the way when removing and installing the spare during rotations so I don’t break the camera with that heavy spare.

The camera is mounted to the wheel with sticky Velcro and a large binder clip, with Gorilla Tape in the binder clip to make it grippy and prevent scratches. I might try Plasti Dip on a binder clip to replace the Gorilla Tape and to prevent rust. I’ll be checking this at least every time I rotate since I’ll have to remove and replace the Velcro and binder clip. Best part of this mount is it’s essentially free using things already in the house or garage, and it works and looks good. If I was starting everything from scratch and didn’t already have the camera and Teraflex 3rd brake extension, I’d probably get the Alpine camera with brake light others have posted here, with the concern going in without seeing the backside of the camera that it might not be horizontal given my spares lug-nut rotation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One other question about the Alpine unit, how does it work when you need time access the spare tire? Does the brake light just disconnect and come off?

The Alpine is held up with a lug nut and has a connector that you disconnect to pull off. Very easy takes a couple of minutes to pull off.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

I touched on that in my first post.
Remove the center rubber cover, undo the one lug nut behind it, and disconnect the wiring harness. Then set aside and undo your tire lug nuts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts